Jennifer Niven, author of “Velva Jean Learns to Drive”, “Velva Jean Learns to Fly”, “Becoming Clementine”, “American Blonde”, and “All the Bright Places” (available January 6, 2015) answers 10 questions about her favorite time period in history, her favorite figures from history, and the age old question of coffee or tea.
1. If you could go back in time and be any figure from history, who would it be?
Carole Lombard or Mary Pickford.
2. What year in history would you have liked to live in?
I’m not sure about an exact year, but I would love to have been a part of 1930s Hollywood.
3. You’re having a dinner party and you can invite 5 people from history, who would they be?
There are too many to choose from! But maybe Harry Houdini, Emily Brontë, Zelda Fitzgerald, Abraham Lincoln, and Errol Flynn.
4. What castle from the past or present would you like to live in?
Either England’s Newstead Abbey, the ancestral home of Lord Byron (swoon), or the Biltmore House in North Carolina.
5. Two fellow historical fiction authors you’d like to go on a history themed tour of the world with?
Philippa Gregory and Diana Gabaldon.
6. Who was more dashing and interesting, King Henry VIII of England or King Louis XIV of France?
I’m going to say King Louis XIV was more dashing (because he was French, which immediately sounds sexy, and because he was at war for 50 years, which indicates a good deal of swagger). But I’m going to say King Henry VIII was more interesting (and frightening!). All those beheadings!
7. Which of the six wives of King Henry VIII is your favorite?
Anne Boleyn. I’m completely fascinated by her. So fascinated, in fact, that I have an Anne Boleyn ring I bought on etsy.com—a great conversation starter!
8. English monarchy or French monarchy?
Let’s go with English, because my ancestors were forced to flee France with the Huguenots for England and Ireland.
9. What three novels could you read over and over?
“Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”, “To Kill a Mockingbird”, and “Little Women”.
10. Tea or coffee when writing?
I’m not a coffee drinker, so decaf ginger tea with lemon or just plain ice water.
Jennifer Niven’s official website: