Did you know that some of the most important strategies for changing your body and reaching your fitness goals have nothing to do with how you workout? Sure, you always want to have the right program, do the right exercises, have perfect form, and give it your all, but there are a few things you can do outside of your workouts besides dieting that can also expedite the process of transforming your body.
When I was on my first mission and subsequent missions to get in the best shape I could be in, much of the great results I achieved had nothing to do with my workouts. Looking back, it was little strategies that ultimately did the trick by keeping me focused and on track. These five strategies can really make all the difference between mediocre results and actually achieving the body you dream of.
- Keep a Weekly Schedule and Stick to It: All of your workouts for the week need to be predesigned and scheduled so you know exactly what you have to do on each day. This is a format that you must have to maintain your dedication and focus on your training and goals. You must know on what days you will work which muscle groups, how much cardio you are going to do on which days, and anything else pertaining to your workouts. Always leave one day at the end of your week to make up any days you miss so you stay on track.
- Read Fitness Articles, Books, and Magazines Whenever You Get the Chance: Many gyms and sports centers contain a magazine rack. Whenever I warmed up on the bike or treadmill prior to lifting weights, I made sure to grab a new fitness magazine and glance through it for any new ideas or information I could use for the day’s workout. You’d be surprised how a little tip, a minor exercise recommendation, or an expert pointer can not only inspire you for your workout, but also remind you of something you forgot that can help you gain better results for the day.
- Tan: You want to look good and look your best. You want to see the amazing results and changes your body goes through. Well, you can have really changed and transformed your body, but adding some color to the skin makes your body and muscles appear to look even better. A tan reveals more cuts, lines, and definitions all over your body and muscles. This can be a form of positive reinforcement for you as you see even more results, which will inspire you to keep training hard.
- Stay Away From Negative People and Negative Feedback and Stay Close to Positive People and Positive Feedback: Speaking of positive reinforcement, a great way to stay motivated and feeling good about your transformation and progress is to receive positive feedback. If you stay around people who are nice and friendly and say things to you like, “You’re looking great”, or “Wow you’re getting results, what are you doing?” you’ll feel positive energy and confidence to keep at it, On the other hand, if you are around negative people or jealous type people who do not compliment your progress and improvement, it will seem like all the hard work is for nothing. This can be sad and tragic and why a lot of people never reach their potential. You must surround yourself with positive people at the gym, at work, out having fun, and at home to keep improvement and progress going.
- Prayer/Faith: Most athletes have some form of faith and prayer ritual in their lives. They have a way of meditating and staying connected to their faith that enables them to believe in themselves and value their lives and goals. When they really want to achieve or win something, they know that due to the difficulty of the endeavor (and let’s face it, getting in terrific shape, gaining a six pack, and losing significant weight is not easy- it’s hard, grueling, painful, and there will be temptations to give up along the way) they are going to have to be at their highest, best selves in order to succeed. If you’re serious about getting in the best shape of your life or achieving a supreme goal, it is okay to carry your faith over into your goals and use it to believe you can get there and succeed. With so many distractions and temptations around you, it’s a really fantastic idea and something that can help you to perform at your best.