There are so many fun ways to celebrate a St. Patrick’s Day dinner. Corned beef? Check. Cabbage and potatoes? Check, check. But how about dessert?
There are marvelous treats to choose from (Irish soda bread, scones, mint brownies). But here’s one that’s super easy and extra delicious: chocolate stout cupcakes with Irish cream frosting.
Because they start with a boxed cake mix, they’re really quick to make and so convenient to serve. In fact, Irish ingredients are used in both the cupcakes and the frosting (stout beer and Irish cream liqueur), so you’re sure to please all your lads and lassies!
CHOCOLATE STOUT CUPCAKES WITH IRISH CREAM FROSTING
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Makes 24 cupcakes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
1 box devil’s food cake mix
1 1/4 cups stout beer
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 lb powdered sugar (4 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 to 4 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place foil or paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In large bowl, beat all cupcake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely.
- In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating until combined. Add vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the liqueur; beat until blended. Add enough of the remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons liqueur, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Spoon frosting into decorating bag fitted with #1M star tip; pipe frosting in circular pattern on tops of cupcakes.
- If you are using 2 (12-cup) muffin pans and baking all the cupcakes at one time, rotate the pans halfway through the baking time to ensure even baking.
- Don’t have a decorating bag? Simply spoon the frosting into a large resealable food-storage plastic bag and cut off a corner of the bag to pipe frosting onto cupcakes.