Like it or not, a first impression is one that usually sticks with people. Thus, enhancing your entryway is an important aspect in making your home feel inviting to guests, or even potential home buyers. Whether you have a small foyer, or a formal mud room that serves as your entry, there are easy, affordable ways to enhance your entryway. Try any of simple tips to create a welcoming entry.
Easy, affordable ways to enhance your entryway:
- Install a dimmer switch in the entry, which will allow you to dim the lights to create a welcoming entry or shine them brightly during dreary, rainy days.
- Make sure you’re using the right light fixture. If your ceilings are the standard height of eight feet, you will want to use a flush mount fixture that hugs the ceiling. Ceilings over ten feet in height can safely accommodate chandeliers or drop pendant lights, but should be hung high enough where guests won’t hit their heads upon entry.
- Regardless of what type of lighting you have in your entry, you want to keep it clean. When you have a dirty light fixture, it won’t shine as brightly as it is meant to, and will give the appearance of a dark and dingy room. A simply way to enhance your entryway is to keep your lighting dust and cobweb-free.
Use accessories that will maximize your storage space, and keep clutter out of sight. For items that need to stay in the entryway, hang them attractively so they are pleasing to the eye. Try any of these accessories for entryways:
- Wickers baskets – Great for storing paperwork, pet supplies, children’s shoes, small toys, etc.
- Ornamental hooks – Keep coats, backpacks, purses, and so on, off the ground and neatly organized.
- Umbrella stand – When shopping for an umbrella stand, be sure to look for one that will catch water and not rust or tarnish.
- Chest of drawers – An attractive, yet functional way to enhance your entry. Hang a mirror above the chest of drawers to give the illusion of a larger space.
- Decorative plants – Live or artificial plants bring life to any room. They can be beneficial accessories in an entryway too, as they can be placed strategically to conceal wires, or hide unattractive spots on the wall.
Make your entryway ‘pop’ with a splash of color. Whether you choose to paint your walls a bright and sunny new shade, or leave the walls neutral and bring in the color through your accessories, color is one of many easy, affordable ways to enhance your entryway. If you prefer to use neutral colors on the walls, use colorful accent rugs, bold artwork, or a beautiful assortment of silk flowers to make the room come alive.
Subscribe to the Columbus Home Improvement Examiner.