Wow, what can one say and where to begin to talk about Anna Wintour’s Met Gala 2015 that celebrated the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute exhibit China: Through The Looking Glass with a range of fashion looks that could easily be categorized under the heading of wild, wacky and very weird?
Glamorous gentle folk from the American music scene, Hollywood celebrities, movie stars and fashion elite ascended on the red carpet extravaganza last night with high hopes of what would be a classic review of Chinese fashion, and style however, what took place according to some critics was a ‘good ole American style’ lampooning of Chinese culture, design, and fashion esthetics.
Let’s break down recognizable trends of the night with fashion features worth remembering:
- Gala gold award goes to Kate Hudson, Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastian.
- Hollywood red carpet gala glam and the peep’s who love to sparkle like a chandelier include Beyoncé, Kim Karadashian, Sofia Vergara, and Dianna Agron.
- Oh so sophisticated nods belong to Emma Roberts in her green satin gown and Lizzy Caplan dressed in a white satin goddess ensemble.
- Red is wonderful when worn by Helen Mirren, Karolina Kurkova, Amal Clooney and Poppy Delevingne.
- Mini dresses and the too many who were too lazy to wear a dress so they wore pants or pajamas award goes to Diane Kruger for looking like a lamp, Sienna Miller who dressed like a Chinese matador, Constance Jablonski a disco dancer in a black boob tube top and satin pants, and Grace Coddington who looked ready for bed in her blue silk pajamas.
- Middle of the road mentions go to Georgia May Jagger’s in a stunning Chinese bathrobe, Kendall Jenner in a sage colored sparkle dress and this year’s co-chair Jennifer Lawrence’s look of oh my goodness my feet are killing me.
- What the heck happened fashion blooper awards go to the creepy costume Katy Perry wore, Solange who decided to wear a flying saucer disk, Rihanna in a peeled yellow banana and Sarah Jessica Parker whose hair was on fire.
Noticeable no shows for the star-studded event included Gwyneth Paltrow who stayed true to form again after her big whinny complain to USA Today in 2013 telling the whole world how bored she was with the “Unfun” affair, Anna Wintour’s arch nemesis, Marc Jacob’s go-to stylist and the editor of LOVE magazine Katie Grand, and last but not least resident royal of Manhattan Princess Eugenie of York.
What’s your take on Anna Wintour’s Met Gala 2015?