Elise and Rick Wetzel (co-founders of Wetzel’s Pretzels) opened the first Blaze Pizza on August 6, 2012 in Irvine, CA. It was probably the best location decision they ever made. The location is right across the street from UCI (University of California, Irvine). With so many students on a budget and being able to get a pizza just the way they want it for under $8, how could they resist.
On September 5, 2014, Blaze Pizza opened its 17th Southern California location inside the Brea Mall’s food court. Grand opening day equals FREE pizzas for the public. This is a win-win for everyone. Blaze Pizza employees get intense training, customers get free pizza, and the social buzz is just crazy!
Executive Chef Bradford Kent (aka “The Pizza Whisperer”) developed a recipe for the scratch dough that is made in each location. There is a 24-hour fermentation process to make this airy, crisp crust. The crust is the basis of all great pizza and they definitely have a great recipe. Once the balls of dough are pressed into the perfect pizza size and shape, they are paddled and ready for your topping choices. They have a few signature pizzas if choosing your own toppings is too overwhelming (they have a lot of toppings). You can also use one of the signature pizzas as a base and add extra toppings as you see fit. Or just be creative and go crazy!
- Choose your sauce: Classic red sauce, spicy red sauce, white cream sauce, pesto drizzle, BBQ drizzle, or olive oil drizzle
- Choose your cheese: Goat, gorgonzola, mozzarella, ovalini mozzarella, parmesan, and/or ricotta (Vegan cheese is an additional charge)
- Choose your meat: Applewood bacon, crumbled meatballs, grilled chicken, Italian sausage, pepperoni, salami, and/or smoked ham
- Choose your veggies: Artichoke, arugula, bell peppers, black olives, cherry tomatoes, chopped garlic, fresh basil, jalapenos, Kalamata olives, mushrooms, pepperocini, pineapple, red onions, red peppers, and/or sautéed onion
- 180 seconds in the oven and your pizza is ready!
Here’s a couple of examples of what you can create:
- Order a White Top (white cream sauce with mozzarella, Applewood bacon, chopped garlic, oregano, and arugula) as a base. Add ricotta, crumbled meatballs, and roasted garlic. The creamy cheeses work well with the salty bacon. The roasted garlic adds a slight sweetness and the arugula adds a bitter greenness for a perfectly balanced pizza. Rating: 5/5
- Order a Meat Eater (pepperoni, crumbled meatballs, red onions, mozzarella, and red sauce) as a base. Add olives and mushrooms. It’s a good meat lover’s starter pizza with a bit of veggies. The impressive part is that the airy, crisp crust holds up to the robust and saucy toppings. The combination of flavors is very familiar and just as scrumptious! Rating: 5/5
Give Blaze Pizza a try! You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the taste and how “blazing” fast it is.
Atmosphere: 4 out of 5 stars
Service: 5 out of 5 stars
Décor: 4 out of 5 stars
Food: 5 out of 5 stars
For more information:
Blaze Pizza (Brea Mall)
2157 Brea Mall
Brea, CA 92821
Hours: Monday through Friday from 10am to 9pm, Saturday from 10am to 8pm, Sunday from 11am to 6pm