Branson Riley Carlisle was only five when he died this week, just hours after being bitten by a brown recluse spider. Branson was taken to the hospital immediately after the spider bit him, but his condition just deteriorated quickly, reports the Canada Journal on Nov. 27.
The family’s pastor, Jeff Stanford, from Branson’s hometown of Albertville, Alabama, confirmed that the child was dead and that it was due from the bite of a recluse spider. A funeral home worker also confirmed the cause of the boy’s death.
According to The Spreadit today, the brown recluse spider is prevalent in the Southeastern U.S. including Alabama. Branson’s parents, Jessica Carlisle and A.J. Mays rushed their son to the hospital immediately after it was apparent the boy was bitten by the recluse spider.
They brought the spider with them to the Marshall Medical Center, where it was identified as a brown recluse spider. Branson was transferred to Huntsville Hospital for Women and Children as his condition deteriorated. He died at that hospital from the spider bite a few hours later.
The family has pest control at the house once a month to rid the house of spiders. They were told that the spider most likely made its way into their home to get away from the cold weather which has blanketed most of the nation this week.
The boy’s parents made the right move of bringing the spider with them to the hospital because it helped the medical staff immediately diagnosis what Branson was suffering from. Although it didn’t help in curing the boy in this case, it could have made the difference between life and death knowing what a victim was suffering from.
According to The Spreadit today, the author of “Spiders of the Eastern United States,” Rick Vetter writes about the brown recluse spider:
“They come out at night after all the lights are off and creep around. They live in houses, especially old ones. They also like hiding in piles of old clothes or newspapers or old woodpiles.”
The venom causes the skin and the layers beneath to erode. The venom also causes the breakdown of red blood cells, writes Vetter. In 2004 one of the creepiest stories about the brown recluse spider hit the headlines.
A family in Lenexa, Kansas found 2,055 brown recluse spiders in their home in a matter of six months. With all those spiders coming out of the walls and woodwork, not one member of the family was bitten.
Ann Slattery, who is the director of the Regional Poison Control Center Children’s of Alabama, said that in her 32 years on the job, this is the first death caused by the brown recluse spider to her knowledge.
In the video above, a family is forced out of their house due to an infestation of over 5,000 brown recluse spiders. This is the stuff nightmares are made of!