Branson Riley Carlisle died on Sunday after being bit by a brown recluse spider in his home. The boy’s mother is now opening up about the final hours of her son’s life. AL.com shared the comments made by Jessica Carlisle about her son’s tragic death on Nov. 28.
Jessica Carlisle went into detail about the events surrounding her young boy’s death. He was wearing a new pajama top on Sunday, and the spider was inside the top. Around 9:15 a.m. on Sunday morning, Branson revealed to his mother that he had been bit by something. She saw the bite on his shoulder blade.
Immediately following the bite, Branson showed no symptoms. In fact, his mother revealed that the young boy was laughing and eating his breakfast of pancakes and sausage. Within a couple of hours, the young boy started to become feverish. His mother had been bit by a recluse spider in the past, and she knew that medical treatment was needed immediately to prevent complications from the venom.
The young mother, only 23-years-old herself, took Branson to the first of three different medical centers. The first medical facility she took him to that morning referred him to Marshall Medical Center. The doctors there referred him a third medical facility where he would receive the “best care.”
Jessica described in detail what happened to her son on Sunday night.
“They took it very seriously [at Marshall. They started him on antibiotics, steroids and Tylenol. His vitals were all normal. He was laughing and playing and being a 5-year-old boy. The doctor said he was going to send him to Children’s of Huntsville or Birmingham, whichever one was quicker, but he didn’t seem to think it was going to get worse. It was just in case anything happened, he would have the best care.”
At the third hospital, young Branson was taken to ICU. That is where things took a tragic turn, according to his mother.
“Doors started flying open and people started coming running from everywhere. I’ve never seen so many doctors in one room. The nurse came out in the hallway and sat down. They told me his heart had stopped. They shocked him. I was in the room when they shocked him for the 17th time, and I knew there was nothing else in this world that they could do for him. I told them it was time to stop.”
The young mother revealed that her son was speaking and even arguing with the doctor on the way to ICU in the moments before his death. The doctor kept asking the boy to open his mouth, and the boy refused. Jessica said it was her son being “5 years old” that made him act the way he was.
Jessica Carlisle opened up about her son’s death on Thanksgiving. The day before she buried her son. Many have visited the memorial page made by the church, and they have left their own messages of support and sorrow over the boy’s death. One message reads as follows:
“I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious child. My husband & I know the crushing pain of such a loss, and so will pray that our good Father in heaven will comfort your hearts as only He can.”
Before her son’s death, not one brown recluse bite had resulted in death in the last five years. Eighty-nine calls for brown recluse bites have been reported since 2013, but not one of those have resulted in a death. It is not known why this bite caused the death of the young boy.
Jeff Stanford, the family pastor, has said that the family is devastated by this sudden and tragic loss, but Jessica Carlisle did reveal in her comments that she is dealing with her son’s death. She said the following:
“I’ve have five years to be thankful for. Everybody will tell you how great and wonderful a child he was,” she said. “It brings peace to my heart because I know he didn’t suffer.”
The young mother also revealed that her son wanted to send his toys to Africa because they did not have the things that he had. She is now trying to fulfill that wish for the boy. She is taking donations of toys or money, and she plans to send them to Africa to help the children there.
The young mother is also eight months pregnant. She is due to deliver a girl next month. That little girl will never meet her older brother.
Dr. Alan Kitchens of Marshall Medical Center did share a warning about brown recluse bites. He said the following, according to WSFA.com:
“Any type of reaction, perhaps passing out, dizziness, heart palpitations, or difficulty breathing, you need to seek medical help much quicker.”
Jessica Carlilse did all she could to save her little boy. He was at the first medical facility and on his way to the second by 11am. This family made sure he received the urgent medical care that was needed in the case of a spider bite. His death is tragic.