Bruce Jenner may be forced to pay millions in a wrongful death lawsuit after the deadly Feb. 7 car crash that left 69-year-old Kim Howe dead. Videos taken by cameras from a nearby gas station and a commuter bus show Jenner was clearly at fault in the car accident.
“The sky’s the limit with what a jury could award,” personal injury lawyer James Fox told People. “For a fatality, let’s say the jury awards $10 million for the death of this person, and let’s say Bruce has only $1 million in liability coverage.
Fox continued: “He could be on the hook personally for the balance of $9 million. He may or may not have sufficient insurance coverage to pay a judgment. His personal assets could be at stake.”
A recreation of the car crash based based on the video taken from the MTA bus shows Jenner hit both cars in front of him (see above). According to the video, Jenner’s Cadillac Escalade hit the white Lexus in front of him, causing it to careen onto oncoming traffic. The driver of that car, Kim Howe, died after being hit by an oncoming Hummer.
Jenner also rear-ended a Prius that was in front of the white Lexus. The driver of the Prius was not hurt. Bruce passed a field sobriety test at the scene of the accident and voluntarily agreed to a blood test at a local hospital as part of an ongoing investigation into the cause of the accident.
While getting his blood drawn, medical technicians asked if Jenner was taking any medication, and he replied that he had been taking a very low dosage of female hormones that his doctor had prescribed. The hormones reportedly did not play a role in the car crash. Jenner’s rep also denied he had been texting immediately before the crash crash, saying phone records will prove he was not texting.
Jail Time Unlikely Even If Negligence Shown
Legal experts said Jenner is unlikely to face criminal manslaughter charges or jail time under the circumstances. “It would have to show beyond a reasonable doubt that he was negligent,” said an LAPD homicide detective.
Even if Bruce had been somewhat negligent, jail time is highly unlikely since he has no history of prior arrests and wasn’t drunk, high or driving erratically at the time of the accident.
This tragic turn of events has rattled Bruce to his core. Jenner, who recently came out as transgender to his family, has decided to postpone his sex change transition to a woman until after the ongoing police investigation is finished.
Before the tragic car crash, Jenner was said to have been extremely happy after finally coming out to his family and deciding to move forward with a sex change transition to live his life as a woman. Jenner was in the middle of filming a reality TV series in which he chronicles his transgender issues and sex change.
Last month, Bruce was being celebrated by LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) advocates, who believe the former Olympic gold medalist can shine a spotlight on gender identity issues that have been the source of shame and suicide among the LGBT community.
Sources recently revealed Bruce knew he was transgender since the age of five but hid his gender identities issues out of shame and fear, Celebrity Health reported. Jenner’s ex-wife, Chrystie Scott, said Jenner has been cross-dressing for years. Chrystie and Bruce were married from 1972 to 1980 and have remained on good terms.
In early February, Bruce agreed to do a TV interview about his gender transition with Diane Sawyer of ABC News. The interview was supposed to air in May, to coincide with his reality TV show.
However, at this point, it’s unclear if and when the TV interview and the docuseries will air. Sources said a distraught Bruce has stopped filming his reality show and has no immediate plans to resume filming given the seriousness of what’s he’s dealing with now.