Despite the fact that celebrities are often in the one percent and have huge incomes compared to the average American, not all of them flaunt their wealth. Many are much kinder to the environment and some are just more comfortable with a more normal lifestyle. Many of them still have very special homes and some may have additional homes in other locations.
Answers.com did an article on 10 Celebrities That Live in Ridiculously Small Houses. View pictures of the ten homes, not really so ridiculous, on the website.
Included are Lauren Conrad, Pete Wentz, Brandon Boyd, Nicky Hilton, Lea Michele, Tori Spelling, Meredith Vieria, Christina Ricci, Shaquille O’Neal, and even Warren Buffet who is the third wealthiest person in the world. Rearranged in order of cost of the home:
- Probably the most conservative in price for the largest home is the wealthy Warren Buffet. His 6,570-square-foot home in Omaha was purchased in 1957 for $31,500. He has pledged to give away 99 percent of his wealth, at $58 billion last count, upon his death. This may be a lesson to learn about being wealthy.
- Tori Spelling of 90210 is now living in a three-bedroom bungalow but no price or details are offered.
- Basketball legend Shaquille O’Neal recently purchased a five-bedroom under4,000-square-feet Florida home for $250,000.
- Meredith Vieria, of “The Today Show,” has a 1,783-square-foot Hollywood Hills home costing a little more than $1 million.
- Fashion designer Lauren Conrad lives in a $1.35 million dollar three-bedroom condo.
- Lea Michele, “Glee” star, lives in a quaint under 2,000-square-foot, over $1.4 million two-bedroom 1920s bungalow in Los Angeles.
- Christina Ricci of “Addams Family” bought a 1950s two-bedroom, under 2,000-square-foot Mediterranean home with lavish grounds for $1.5 million.
- Pete Wentz, Fall Out Boy band, has a $1.5 million four-bedroom under 2,000-square-foot home in California.
- Nicky Hilton, fashion designer, has a $3 million three-bedroom 1940s home near Sunset Boulevard.
- Musician Brandon Boyd’s $3.5 million four-bedroom 1923 bungalow has an incredible backyard swimming pool.
Home Renovations’ article, 5 Celebrities Who Live In Freakishly Small Houses, also included Warren Buffett plus Vincent Kartheiser, Tom Shadyac, Matthew McConaughey and Mark Zuckerberg:
- Kartheiser plays Pete Campbell in Mad Men and has a 850-square-foot Hollywood home.
- Tom Shadyac who directed films like Ace Ventura: Pet Detective; Liar, Liar; The Nutty Professor and Bruce Almighty, moved out of a 15,000-square-foot complex into his 1,000- square-foot trailer in Malibu’s Paradise Cove.
- Actor Matthew McConaughey also once lived in a Paradise Cove trailer like Shadyac.
- Billionaire Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, moved into a 5,000-square-foot Palo Alto house that cost $7 million, mainly because of its Crescent Park neighborhood.
An interesting companion piece would be which celebrities rate themselves as the happiest, those with large or small homes. Shadyac says he is “far happier than ever before” loving his trailer park’s “communal, social feel, exulting in the fact that it takes him 20 minutes to take out the trash because he always ends up talking to people along the way.” Check out the Paradise Cove “trailer” for sale in the attached video, complete with two hot outdoor showers, hot tub and steps away from private Malibu beach.