Cinco de Mayo is a day of celebration in Mexico; although many Americans have celebrated with Mexico for well over one hundred years. Cinco de May is rich in cultural diversity and gives Americans the opportunity to learn more about Mexico’s ethnic heritage, not just how to make enchiladas and sangria.
Are you throwing a Cinco de Mayo party? If so, this Cinco de Mayo trivia questions can be used as a fun trivia game in your celebration. Everyone likes a little trivia challenge and this Cinco de Mayo trivia will not disappoint. You may want to print out the questions on little slips of paper and place in a bowl. Leave a few maracas around the room and when someone decides to give one a shake, they have to attempt to answer the question. Sneaky!
While trivia questions are the main focus of this article, make sure to read down to the bottom for some great Mexican food and beverage recipes. The recipes include dips and appetizers, main entrée’s, desserts, and beverages; therefore you will have plenty of Mexican recipes to read over and make for your friends and family.
Cinco de Mayo trivia questions
- When is Cinco de Mayo? May 5
- Where is Cinco de Mayo primarily celebrated? In the Mexican state of Puebla
- What occasion does Cindo de Mayo celebrate? The Mexican army’s unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.
- When is Mexico’s Independence Day? September 16.
- When did Americans begin to celebrate Cino de Mayo with Mexico? In the 1860’s
- What sole American state celebrated Cinco de May with Mexico for nearly a hundred years before other American states join in the celebration? California in the 1860’s
- What decade did Cinco de Mayo become a mainstream event across America celebrating Mexico’s culture and heritage? The 1980’s
- When did the U.S. Congress issue a Concurrent Resolution calling on the President of the United States to issue a proclamation calling upon the people of the United States to observe Cinco de Mayo with appropriate ceremonies and activities? On June 7, 2005
- Since the Battle of Puebla, have any countries in North or South America been invaded by any other European military force? And if so, which ones. No
- Where does the world’s largest Cinco celebration take place? In Los Angeles. This year’s Festival de Fiesta Broadway is expected to draw 300,000 people. Cities like New York City, Denver and Houston also throw large parties in honor of the day.
- What US city/state celebrates Cino de Mayo in part by holding Chihuahua races and even crowns two of the dogs king and queen? Chandler, Arizona
- Americans consume how many avocados on Cin de Mayo? According to the California Avocado Commission 81 million! Guacamole is a popular Mexican dip/garnish that people really enjoy.
Questions based on facts listed in Wikipedia
And here are some great recipes:
White cheese sauce/dip
Cinnamon chips and fruity salsa
Beefy nacho bake
Enjoy your Cinco de Mayo celebrations and take some time to learn about the Mexican heritage. As always, be safe and have fun!