Every Friday, the top 16 teams will be announced until the NCAA Tournament pairings. The rankings will also take into consideration games up until Thursday night. In our third installment of the Friday‘s “Treat 16” only one team remains undefeated. That distinction goes to the Kentucky Wildcats.
The Big 12 might have the best conference in the whole country. However, it’s hard to determine if they have any championship teams in the mix. With Kansas leading the way, there are quite few teams ready to make a run in the NCAA tournament. The Jayhawks were in contention for a No.1 seed, but they’ll need help to get back to the top line.
When it comes down to it, Iowa State will be a trendy pick come March. After a one week hiatus, the Cyclones reentered the power poll. A slight change in the lineup may make all the difference for incredibly talented and versatile Iowa State team.
Here’s the updated Treat 16 power poll. You can also check last week’s version.
1. Kentucky Wildcats (26-0, 13-0): Even when Kentucky struggles offensively, they rely on a brilliant defensive effort to pull out victories. They Wildcats have a school record start to a season, and staying undefeated is a real possibility. Next games vs. Auburn, vs. Miss State.
2. Wisconsin Badgers (24-2, 12-1): Wisconsin enters their toughest stretch of the season. The Badgers have a nice lead in the Big Ten, but must finish strong to ensure a conference title. Next games vs. Minnesota, vs. Maryland.
3. Virginia Cavaliers (24-1, 12-1): Virginia scored 61 points in their last two wins. Will their offense hold up during the postseason? Defensively, they are the best in the country. Next games vs. FSU, vs. Wake Forest.
4. Gonzaga Bulldogs (27-1, 15-0): Kyle Wiltjer exploded for 45 points in the victory over Pacific. Gonzaga clinched a share of the conference title. Now they have a chance to win it outright on Saturday. Next game vs. St. Mary’s, vs. San Diego.
5. Duke Blue Devils (23-3, 10-3): Duke had two huge comebacks last week, including an impressive victory over rival, North Carolina. Tyus Jones was splendid down the stretch. Jahlil Okafor suffered an injured ankle. Next games vs. Clemson vs. Virginia Tech.
6. Villanova Wildcats (24-2, 11-2): Villanova earned a critical win over Butler and followed up with a dominant victory over Seton Hall. They’ve beaten every team in the Big East. Next games vs. Marquette, vs. Providence.
7. Arizona Wildcats (23-3, 11-2): Arizona has obliterated the competition since a loss to Arizona State. Next games vs. UCLA, vs. Colorado.
8. Kansas Jayhawks (21-5, 10-3): The Jayhawks were part of one of the best endings of the season. Unfortunately, Kansas lost to West Virginia. Next games vs. TCU, vs. Kansas State.
9. Utah Utes (21-4, 11-2): The Utes are keeping pace with Arizona in the PAC-12. Utah is coming off of a great defensive effort against Oregon State. Next games vs. Oregon vs. Arizona State.
10. Northern Iowa Panthers (25-2, 14-1): Northern Iowa has six straight wins by double figures. The Panthers still have a shot at a two seed, but must keep winning big. Next games vs. Bradley, vs. Evansville.
11. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (22-4, 10-3): With four games left, Notre Dame is two games behind Virginia in the ACC. They have a winnable schedule down the stretch. Next games vs. Boston College vs. Syracuse
12. Butler Bulldogs (19-7, 9-4): Butler had a crazy week on the court. After a pair of close games, the Bulldogs fall two games behind Villanova for the Big East lead. Next games vs. Xavier, vs. Marquette.
13. Wichita State Shockers (24-3, 14-1): The Shockers are keeping pace with the Northern Iowa Panthers. There are three games left in the regular season. The MVC should come down to the final game. Next games vs. Evansville, vs. Indiana State.
14. Iowa State Cyclones (19-6, 9-4): Iowa State had a consistent week with wins over West Virginia and Oklahoma State. They are only one game behind Kansas for Big 12 lead. Next games vs. Texas, vs. Baylor.
15. Oklahoma Sooners (18-8, 9-5): Oklahoma has an intriguing offensive game. A loss to Kansas State wasn’t good, but they bounced right back with a win over Texas. Next game vs. Texas Tech.
16. North Carolina Tar heels (18-8, 8-5): The Tarheels dominated Duke for a long stretch in the second half. It still wasn’t enough to beat the Blue Devils. However, as long as North Carolina plays like this, they’ll be a force. Next games vs. Georgia Tech, vs. NCSU.