Jerry Palm of CBS Sports released his updated college football playoff projection on Sunday. Saturday’s action presented a lot of shake ups at the top of the rankings. The whole day was highlighted by the Alabama Crimson Tide win over former No.1 Mississippi State. However, it was the upsets and close calls that have a couple coaches searching for answers.
The Crimson Tide rolled over Mississippi State early and held on late. After jumping out to a 19 point lead, Alabama defeated the Bulldogs 25-20 in a thrilling victory. On the strength of that victory, Palm thinks that Alabama is now the No.1 team.
The biggest upset of the day had to be Arizona State losing on the road at Oregon State. It looked like the PAC-12 was counting on a showdown between the Sun Devils and the Ducks in the conference championship game. Now Arizona State needs help just to win the PAC-12 South.
The TCU Horned Frogs didn’t have an opportunity to impress anybody in their close victory over Kansas. However, they stayed alive after falling behind early. Still, it’s a question whether their win was enough to get TCU into the Top 4 college football playoff projections.
1. Alabama Crimson Tide: The Crimson Tide finally have a true showcase win to be ecstatic about. They are in line for the SEC championship game, and are a front runner for a college football playoff berth. Still have a date with struggling Auburn Tigers this season.
2. Oregon Ducks: The Oregon Ducks had a bye week. They saw their instate rival show a competitive spirit, so it looks like Oregon may have a tougher time than expected to finish out the season with one loss.
3. Florida State Seminoles: It was another day at the office for Florida State. The Seminoles fell behind by 16 points in the first half. Once again, Florida State came roaring back to win their 26th straight game. Still, the Seminoles dropped a notch in Jerry Palm’s projections.
4. Baylor Bears: The Baylor Bears also had a bye week. Right now, they are the leader in the Big 12 due to their head to head win over TCU. The chances of the Big 12 getting two teams in the college football playoff is not likely, so it will be interesting to see how the selection committee votes.
Kirk Herbsteit broke down his college football top 4.
1. Alabama Crimson Tide vs. 4. Baylor Bears
2. Oregon Ducks vs. 3. Florida State Seminoles
Teams on the Bubble
Ohio State Buckeyes: The Buckeyes survived the cold in Minnesota to get one step closer to the Big 10 title. Ohio State is getting better by the day. They have two home games left, including their showdown with the Michigan Wolverines to end the season.
TCU Horned Frogs: TCU didn’t have a good showing on Saturday. They’ll be rested enough during the bye week to take on what looks like a good opponent on Thanksgiving. TCU could very well win out and still be left out of the Top 4. However, one loss teams have been falling left and right out here.
Ole Miss Rebels: The Rebels have a chance to still get into the top four. Of course, it hurts that they won’t be facing an undefeated Mississippi State to end the season. Still, Ole Miss will look to win their remaining games.
Mississippi State Bulldogs: After sustaining their first loss of the season, Mississippi State will probably be on the outside looking in. However, it will be up to the committee to place Mississippi State in their proper place. The Bulldogs still have a top 10 game left and they can earn a trip to the SEC championship game.