Jerry Palm of CBS Sports released his updated college football playoff projection on Sunday. After another thrilling Saturday of college football, it was a pair of fumbles that will help shape how the college football playoff turns out. Last week, Auburn benefited from untimely turnovers. One week later, the Tigers decided to drop the ball in what should have been an easy victory.
The Oregon Ducks also had help with an early fumble against Utah. The Ducks won the PAC-12 North and will be headed into the PAC-12 championship game this year. The Ducks still have to win the conference to even be considered for one of the four playoff spots.
Jerry Palm still only has one SEC team in the top four, and it’s not the one you think. The Mississippi State Bulldogs are in a must win situation next week. They face the Alabama Crimson Tide on the road. Basically, a win by either team might guarantee a spot in the college football playoffs.
1. Florida State Seminoles: The Seminoles didn’t have to comeback from a large halftime deficit, but they didn’t dominate Virginia from start to finish. Still, the Seminoles won another game by double digits. Increasingly, Florida State is receiving criticism for not winning big enough. Remember, last year they won by too much. Florida State has a huge game against Miami coming up.
2. Alabama Crimson Tide: The Crimson Tide escaped with a seven point overtime victory over LSU. By this selection, Alabama is picked to beat Mississippi State, but it should be another fourth quarter game. The No.1 team will be an underdog. The Alabama stock is still strong.
3. Oregon Ducks: The Oregon Ducks just have to avoid a bad upset along the way. They were close last night. Despite the 51-27 victory, Utah gave Oregon all they could handle, and Oregon should be commended for producing a tough win on the road.
4. Baylor Bears: Baylor, basically came from nowhere, and they have moved into the top four. With wins over TCU and Oklahoma, Baylor is in a great position to make the college football playoffs. It should be noted that TCU was the No.4 team last week. Both teams had convincing victories on Saturday.
Kirk Herbstreit broke down his college football top 4.
1. Florida State Seminoles vs. 4. Baylor Bears
2. Alabama Crimson Tide vs. No.3 Oregon Ducks
Teams on the Bubble:
Mississippi State Bulldogs: Yes, they are one of three undefeated teams this season. In addition, Mississippi State is the No.1 team in the country. The problem is that they have two tough road games left on the schedule. If they win out, they’ll be in the playoffs as the No.1 seed. Alabama up next.
TCU Horned Frogs: TCU ran past Kansas State on Saturday. Unfortunately, it wasn’t good enough to stay in Jerry Palm’s rankings. Trevone Boykin should be in the top 3 for the Heisman trophy right now. TCU is in a three way tie for first place in the Big 12, and they have two road games remaining. Key game is the road game at Texas.
Ohio State Buckeyes: The Buckeyes are the only team in the Big 10 without a conference loss. Ohio State beat Michigan State in dramatic fashion. If you ever wondered if a team can get better, see Ohio State. The Buckeyes still have two tough games left. Don’t sleep on the Minnesota game
Arizona State Sun Devils: The Sun Devils jumped out to a 34-3 lead over Notre Dame and held on for a tremendous victory. It was the forced turnovers that kept Arizona State rolling. The Sun Devil’s still have quite a schedule on their hands.