Jerry Palm of CBS Sports, released his brand new college football playoff projection on Sunday. Once again, the Florida State Seminoles had a close call on Saturday night. In a day that was light on Top 25 match ups, the Seminoles kept college football interesting with their three point win. It wasn’t enough to knock them out for the playoff rankings.
While most of college football was in the midst of heated rivalry games, the majority of the SEC played their yearly FCS opponent. Therefore, there wasn’t going to be much change at the top. However, the Ole Miss Rebels got shutout by Arkansas and they have lost their chance at the SEC West crown. The Alabama Crimson Tide remained in the top spot due to a win over Western Carolina. The win didn’t change the fact that Alabama needs to beat Auburn next week.
Mississippi State came back from their first loss, and dominated Vanderbilt. The Bulldogs still have a chance to win the SEC West, but they need help. In addition, Ole Miss’ loss to Arkansas will probably hurt Mississippi’ State’s chances of earning a top four bid.
The UCLA Bruins kept their PAC-12 South and College Football Playoff chances alive with a thorough victory over USC. With one more win over Stanford, UCLA will face Oregon for the conference crown. Even though the Bruins have two losses, that scenario could be enough to earn a playoff berth.
1. Alabama Crimson Tide: Alabama faces Auburn next week and that’s all that’s on their mind. The Crimson Tide were projected as the No.1 team last week and they should stay the same.
2. Oregon Ducks: Oregon ran right by Colorado for an easy victory. Marcus Mariota is two wins away from a Heisman Trophy and a spot in the inaugural College Football playoffs.
3. Florida State Seminoles: The Seminoles won another game and they are projected to remain the No.3 team. As the only undefeated team in contention for a top four spot, Florida State just needs to win out.
4. Baylor Bears: Baylor got out to an early lead over Oklahoma State and never looked back. They looked fresh off of their bye week, and they still have some heavy lifting to do. Baylor can really impress the selection committee by year’s end.
Kirk Herbstreit broke down his college football Top 4.
1. Alabama Crimson Tide vs. No.4 Baylor Bears
2. Oregon Ducks vs. 3. Florida State Seminoles
Teams on the Bubble
Ohio State Buckeyes: Ohio State shook off a sluggish start to have a strong second half. They outlasted Indiana to defeat the Hoosiers 42-27. Ohio State also claimed the Big 10 East title and they will be headed to the conference title game.
TCU Horned Frogs: TCU had a bye week, and it looks like they will need help to get into the College Football Playoff. The Horned Frogs have to show a great effort when they face Texas on Thursday. In similar fashion to last week, TCU could win out and be left out.
Mississippi State Bulldogs: The Bulldogs may be able to earn a spot in the College Football Playoff this season. The only question is will they be able to do it as the second team in the SEC West. Mississippi State certainly has to beat Ole Miss, and win the SEC championship game if they get that far.
Georgia Bulldogs: Georgia gets to play Georgia Tech this week. They are also holding out hope of winning the SEC East. They’ll need Missouri to lose in their conference finale. If Georgia happens to make the SEC title game, a win could vault the Bulldogs into the top four.