Jerry Palm of CBS Sports released his updated college football playoff projection on Sunday. It was another thrilling day of college football, and once again, the Ole Miss Rebels couldn’t convert a game winning drive in the final minute to lose consecutive games. All of the top teams had to overcome adversity this week, with the exception of Oregon. The Ducks exacted two years worth of revenge against Stanford on Saturday night.
This week Jerry Palm only has one SEC team in his top four projections, and the four teams are represented by four different conferences. The realization will set in that at least one conference won’t have a final four team in the college football playoffs.
1. Florida State Seminoles: The Seminoles came back from 21 points down to defeat the Louisville Cardinals on the road. They survived the Thursday night road game, where top teams repeatedly fall victim. Although the rest of the schedule seems manageable, Florida State will have a few hungry teams ready to dethrone the champs in November. Their next game is against a Virginia squad that needs a huge win on their resume.
2. Alabama Crimson Tide: The Crimson Tide were on a bye week, but Jerry Palm is holding strong with his stock in Alabama. They are hitting their stretch run starting this week against LSU.
3. Oregon Ducks: Oregon’s chances to make the college football playoffs got much better after embarrassing the Stanford Cardinal on Saturday. The Ducks scored first, and never let up in their biggest win. Now Oregon must travel to a Utah team that just lost an overtime game.
4. TCU Horned Frogs: The TCU Horned Frogs survived a bad start, bad weather, and a bad missed called to beat West Virginia on Saturday. Most importantly, TCU survived a great defensive effort by those Mountaineers. TCU’s work is not done yet. They face off with Big 12 leader, Kansas State next week. If the Horned Frogs win, they’ll be heavy favorites the rest of the season.
Kirk Herbstreit broke down his college football top 4.
1. Florida State Seminoles vs. 4. TCU Horned Frogs
2. Alabama Crimson Tide vs. 3. Oregon Ducks
Teams on the Bubble:
Mississippi State Bulldogs: The Bulldogs survived a slow start and early turnovers to beat Arkansas. Still, Mississippi State is the only undefeated team in the SEC and they haven’t earned the respect from Jerry Palm. Mississippi State still has to play Alabama and Ole Miss in the final three weeks.
Michigan State Spartans: Michigan State has to face off with Ohio State next week. The winner will be in position to make the college football playoffs. The loser will be out for sure.
Auburn Tigers: Auburn’s only loss was to Mississippi State, and they have three SEC games left. The Tigers finish the season at Alabama. That game might be for the final spot in the official college football rankings.