For runners the biggest lottery of the year is not the Mega Multi-Million dollar Lottery but the lottery to get into the 2015 New York City Marathon to be held on Sunday, November 1, 2015. Runners interested in running this year’s marathon submitted their applications several months ago with hopes that they would get in. The drawing for the several thousand open slots was held on Tuesday, March 3, 2015.
“Winners” found out first by checking their credit cards to see if they were charged for their entry. A charge meant they won! A sort of reverse of the other types of lotteries where you win money not pay up.
Those lucky winners of the litter yarer already posting their success on their Facebook page, Tweeting and emailing their friends. They are the lucky ones as only about 20% of those who applied were accepted. The other 80% are most likely holding out some hope that they too will see a charge on their credit card bill soon.
For those who got in it does mean they will need to start training in earnest soon. It also mean they need to plan their race logistics of getting to and from the marathon itself. The NYC Marathon has an awesome task of transporting some 50,000 runners to the starting line in Staten Island. The race utilizes the Staten Island Ferry to shuttle runners from Manhattan and a fleet of several hundred buses to take them from the Ferry dock to the start at Fort Wadsworth at the tip of the Verrazano Narrows in Staten Island right by the Verrazano Bridge.
For many local runners there is an option to take a bus which drops them off in Staten Island and then waits for them at the finish at Central Park in Manhattan. The bus relieves the runners of the stress of getting to the race start and the hassle of planning for pick up and the associated logistics. There are several buses that leave form New Jersey including one that makes stops in Monmouth and Middlesex County along the Garden State Parkway. Runners who are interested can get details and register here. The buses do fill up fast and it is on a first come first served basis – not a lottery.
Good luck to all the runners who got in and condolences to those who did not. There will also be opportunities for training provided by RunCollege starting this summer leading up to the marathon.
Several interesting upcoming events are on the calendar. Here are some in he next several weeks:
Saturday, March 7, 11 a.m. 5K, Hayden’s Heart 5K, North Arlington, New Jersey
Tuesday, March 10, 6 p.m. Get ready to Run your first 5k, Spring Lake – Wall, New Jersey
Saturday, March 24, 5k, HipHop 5k, Johnson Park, Piscataway, New Jersey
Saturday, March 14,10 a.m. 4th Annual Michael Cassidy Shamrock “n” Run 5k, Rutherford, New Jersey
Saturday, March 14, 5k, 10 a.m. Morristown St. Patty’s Day 5k, Morris Township, New Jersey
Saturday, March 14, 5k, 8 a.m. The Run O’ The Mill 5k, Clinton, (s#522)(c)New Jersey
Sunday, March 15, 5k, 10 a.m. Shamrock Shuffle, 5k, Thompson Park, Lincroft, New Jersey
Sunday, March 15, 9 a.m. KEA Pot of Gold 5k, Kinnelon, New Jersey
Sunday, March 15, 9:30 a.m 26th Annual St. Paddy’s Day 10 Miler and Leprechuan 5k, Freehold, New Jersey.
Sunday, March 15, 10 a.m. 5k, Shamrock Shuffle, Thompson Park, Middletown, New Jersey
Saturday, March 21, 8:45 a.m. 10K, 20K, 30K, Spring Rat Race, Wells Mills Park, Waretown, New Jersey Spring Rat Race Registration
Saturday, March 21, 5K, SBA 5k, Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Saturday, March 21, 5k, 9 a.m. Bordentown St. Patty’s Day 5k & Family Fun Walk, Clara Barton School, Bordentown, New Jersey
Sunday, March 22, 5k, 9 a.m. Are you Faster than a Ridge Runner, Mountain Park, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Sunday, March 22, 10k,10 a.m. Middle Earth’s Run From Winter 10k, Duke Island Park, Bridgewater, New Jersey
Sunday, March 22, 5k/20K, 9 a.m. Miles for Music, Highland Park, New Jersey
Sunday, March 22, 9:22 a.m. 2.2 Miles, Tutu 2.2, Asbury Park, New Jersey