The emphasis will be on the “D” as in delightful, Dallas and Detroit for fantasy football owners who have some talented Cowboys and/or Lions on their roster.
The first two Thanksgiving Day games will showcase the talents of Dallas quarterback Tony Romo, Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray, Detroit wide receiver Calvin Johnson (aka “Megatron”) and Dallas wide receiver Dez Bryant. The nightcap provides a slugfest between the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers.
Romo is benefiting mightily from the balanced offensive attack provided by Murray and Bryant along with tight end Jason Witten. This modern-day Cowboy foursome is similar to the Super Bowl quartet of the 1990’s that featured quarterback Troy Aikman, running back Emmitt Smith, wide receiver Michael Irvin and tight end Jay Novacek. The host Cowboys (8-3) should be able to pluck a victory from the visiting Philadelphia Eagles (8-3) and stand alone as the NFC East division leaders.
So look to the second game of Thanksgiving Day to provide a great group of starters for week #13 of fantasy football:
Thanksgiving Game Starters
- Quarterback -Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys. Expectation – 24.5 fantasy football points
- Running back – DeMarco Murray, Dallas Cowboys. Expectation – 18 points
- Running back – Matt Forte, Chicago Bears. Expectation – 16
- Wide receiver – Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys. Expectation – 16.5
- Wide receiver – Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions. Expectation -15.5
- Tight end – Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys. Expectation – 11
- Kicker – Dan Bailey, Dallas Cowboys. Expectation – 11
- Defense/Special Teams – Detroit Lions . Expectation – 12.
The Thanksgiving Day opener has the Detroit Lions (7-4) hosting the Chicago Bears (5-6). The Lions’ biggest dividends have come on “d“-fense where they are No. 3 overall in the NFL. Their defensive success has offset their inconsistencies on offense.
Typically, a Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit is full of surprises so three of the “Sleeper” picks feature players wearing a Lions uniform. The Bears’ pass defense is No. 28 in the league and Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford should be primed to toss plenty of passes to Megatron, wide receiver Golden Tate and tight end Eric Ebron.
Here is a list of the Lions (and a 49er) that should surprise and delight fans watching Thursday’s football games:
Thanksgiving Game Sleepers
- Quarterback – Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions. Expectation – 24 points
- Running back – Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers. Expectation – 13
- Wide receiver – Golden Tate, Detroit Lions. Expectation – 13.5
- Tight end – Eric Ebron, Detroit Lions. Expectation – 12
The Thanksgiving nightcap game is between two NFC West teams battling for a playoff spot. The Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers have identical 7-4 records and are two games behind the division-leading Arizona Cardinals. It is a game between teams with rugged defenses and a strong dislike for each other
Besides, someone has to sit on the bench and enjoy a good meal on Thanksgiving Day so the following players have been nominated to serve in this holiday role:
Thanksgiving Game Diners
- Any Detroit Lions running back
- Wide receiver Michael Crabtree, San Francisco 49ers
- Wide receiver Doug Baldwin, Seattle Seahawks
- Kicker Steven Hauschka, Seattle Seahawks
Thanksgiving Game Predictions
- Detroit 24, Chicago 17.
- Dallas 34, Philadelphia 24.
- San Francisco 16, Seattle 13.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!