The message has all the makings of another tragedy that could turn ugly.
A Twitter message on Sunday by a Brentwood, Mo., resident who tweets under the name Paul Hampel notes that Ferguson protester Becca Campbell “was fatally shot on Fri.” The tweet, which appears below, also contains a picture of Campbell that Hampel notes he took, which shows her “arguing with a cop.”
1. On 8/18, I took this pic of #Ferguson protester Becca Campbell arguing w a cop. Campbell was fatally shot on Fri. pic.twitter.com/coDGN29xVF
— Paul Hampel (@phampel) November 24, 2014
What is missing from the tweet are the facts that (1) the gun was Campbell’s (she bought it in preparation “for possible Ferguson-related unrest”) and (2) that the shooter was Campbell herself. From ABC affiliate WISN via CNN:
SA woman appears to have accidentally fatally shot herself in the head with a gun bought to prepare for possible Ferguson-related unrest, according to sources briefed on the police investigation. […] The female victim, identified in a police report as Becca Campbell, 26, was a passenger in a car involved in an auto accident. Her 33-year-old boyfriend was driving, the sources told CNN.
As for Ferguson residents taking up arming against the advent of civil unrest, a report last week by J.E. Dyer indicates that a Ferguson-area police officer supposedly warned residents to buy a gun. Is it a stretch to hold the police responsible for Campbell’s death? One of Hampel’s Tweeter correspondents seems to raise that specter:
@phampel @TheTrialFile Well at least the cops didn’t do it…. Or did they? O. o #Ferguson
— ReallyRick (@TheReallyRick) November 24, 2014
- Congressional Black Caucus leader threatens Ferguson grand jury
- Obama doesn’t rule out trip to Ferguson
- Two suspects, reportedly New Black Panthers, arrested in Ferguson bomb plot
- Ferguson-area cop reportedly warns residents, ‘Buy a gun, we can’t protect you’ (Video)
- Gun sales ‘spike’ in Ferguson as residents fear violence
- ‘Obama justice’: Ferguson ‘protesters’ put bounty on Darren Wilson, give cops list of demands *UPDATE*
- Forensics support Ferguson cop; protesters threaten nationwide violence (Video)
- Video: Memorial in Ferguson to Michael Brown destroyed by racist candle
- Dem Councilwoman: Ferguson shows government going to ‘round up and execute’ blacks
- Al Sharpton has pre-organized protests in 25 U.S. cities pending grand jury decision
- Teens exhibit Airsoft gun safety on Facebook; school suspends them (Video)
For more articles and headlines, be sure to check out Liberty Unyielding. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook.