It is March in Michigan, and for many this signifies a certain event around the third week of the Gregorian calendar that evokes images of green beer and corned beef. However, for those of us who are not necessarily overly enthused about having a large and respected religion driven from the shores of that fair emerald green isle, there are many other events going on where a Michigan Pagan can tip their toasters. The Detroit Paganism Examiner gives to you, the handy guide for March for those who like a little kick in their chalices.
- Midnight Oberon Tapping Release Party: One Eyed Betty’s – Sunday, Mar 22, 12:00 a.m. One Eyed Betty’s, 175 W. Troy Avenue, in Ferndale 248-808-6633 OBERON IS BACK! One Eyed Betty’s will be tapping their first keg(s) of Michigan’s Oberon ale of the year at the stroke of Midnight. They will also be crowning a King or Queen of Oberon.
- Craft Beer and Wine Social at all Bagger Dave’s locations – Thursday, Mar 26 2:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. Bagger Dave’s, Michigan-brewed craft beers from local breweries such as Griffin Claw, Bell’s, Shorts, Mountain Town and Vander Mill, as well as a selection of Michigan wines.
- Lily’s Brewery Presents: 5 Course Midnight Beer Dinner! – Mar 20, 10:30 p.m. – Saturday, Mar 21, 12:00 a.m. Lily’s Seafood, in Royal Oak.410 S Washington Ave, in Royal Oak (248) 591-5459. $40.00 – $45.00,
- Irish Whiskey Tasting – Friday, Mar13, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Grosse Pointe War Memorial, 32 Lake Shore Dr. in Grosse Pointe Farms (313) 881-7511 $50.00 “Explore six deliciously different whiskeys from the land where whiskey was born. Irish whiskey is exploding as enthusiasts discover newer styles, along with the classics. If you enjoy Scotch or Bourbon, you’ll love this class!”
- Cali Reds – Anything but Cab Sauv & Pinot! – Thursday, Mar 26, 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Plum Market, 6565 Orchard Lake Rd, in West Bloomfield (248) 626- 000. Learn about California’s A-List producers: Petite Sirah (Stags Leap Winery), Syrah (Consilience), Grenache (Beckmen), Zinfandel (Ridge, Easton, Klinger), Rhône blends (Tablas Creek), Cabernet Franc (Darioush). And, yes, Merlot (Matanzas Creek). Attendees will “explore the Napa Valley, Sonoma County including Dry Creek, Paso Robles in the Central Coast, Amador County in the Sierra Nevada foothills, Santa Barbara County including Santa Ynez and Lodi in the Central Valley”. $20.00
- Sip, Savor, Stomp – Saturday, Mar 28, 7:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.. Royal Oak Farmers Market, 316 E 11 Mile Rd, Royal Oak (248) 246-3276 A wine and wine-inspired event. Produced by Metro Times and Ultimate Fun Productions, and benefitting Healthy Detroit 150 delicious wines, artisan cheeses, chocolates, coffees, and “wine-inspired cuisine from numerous area restaurants, and live music in a fun and social atmosphere … Patrons will have ability to purchase bottles and cases of their favorite Sip Savor Stomp wines via Westborn Markets.”
- Italian Wines – Saturday, March 28, 2015 7:30 p.m. -11:00 p.m. The Community House, 380 S Bates St, in Birmingham (248) 644-5832 An “introductory exploration into the worlds largest wine producing country” by Nidal Daher, Certified Sommelier, an founder and president of SOMMELIER CONNECTIONS, INC. $27.00
- Tingle Your Tastebuds with Tequila – Friday, May 15, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Grosse Pointe War Memorial,32 Lake Shore Dr. in Grosse Pointe Farms (313) 881-7511 Learn about the five types of tequila. $48.00
- Royak Oak Beer Fest – Saturday, Apr 25 8:00 p.m. – 11:30 p.m. ” The focus of The Summer Session is the promotion of craft beers and the brewers that create them.” $15.00 – $65.00
Now, if you cannot find a way to choose, then choose them all. Or better yet, choose to hang out with the great folks at Pagan Pub Night Thursday, Mar 19 at Kuhnhenn Brewery, 5919 Chicago road in Warren 586-979-8361. Good times, good brews, and great atmosphere. Who cares if the beer isn’t necessarily green?
Bonus for those who read all the way down here. This is the link to Mistress Belladonna’s super secret VJ party song list for March 2015. Not for the purist, but great for the tourist. Party on, Pagan Wayne and Garth.