– Rare parrots stolen: Blue throated macaw, harlequin macaw, hybrid cockatoo, lesser sulfur crested cockatoo, African grey and hybrid green cheeked/painted conure were stolen from a Florida pet shop. The thieves apparently had some knowledge of birds, as they passed over several more common ones, and grabbed the six valued at a total of $16000. http://www.wsvn.com/story/27715787/6-exotic-birds-stolen-from-southwest-…
– Objecting to “the plight of birds in captivity” protesters plan peaceful demonstration against Todd Marcus Birds Exotic Pet Store in NJ on 1/4 as part of National Bird Day.
– Flight training: Wing clipping is a controversial topic. Here a case is made for keeping birds flighted and how it benefits parrots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Jo-mwp5ms&feature=youtu.be
– The conures of Southwick Zoo need a human audience for their winter training. The first five people to comment on the Bird Training at the Southwick Zoo Facebook page request will be selected. If there’s enough interest they’ll repeat weekly and expand the number of people as training progresses. Sessions will likely take place on a weekday afternoon at the Mendon, MA Community Center.
– Psittacine cinema: Good news for blue throated macaws, other jungle critters to start the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvaj4aD6-20&feature=share — Scarlet macaw from baby to grownup- 65 days in 4 mins. 22 secs.: http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-videos/scarlet-macaw-growing-up.aspx — Egg-axtly. Meanwhile, baby cockatiel has some growing pains of its own: http://www.littlethings.com/baby-cockatiel-grows-up/ -Assorted parrots + a mynah bird: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204722107485755 — Saving the great green macaw: http://vimeo.com/45278719 — Cape parrots: one man’s favorite: http://www.dw.de/my-favorite-the-cape-parrot/a-18159396 — Typical day for a Goffin’s cockatoo: http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-videos/5-goffin-cockatoo-vines.aspx
– Conservation corner: One hundred two scarlet macaws were released into the wild in Mexico last year in hopes of bolstering the current wild population of a few hundred. — Some want to declassify Australia’s superb parrot threatened status; supporters cry “Fowl”: http://cityparrots.org/journal/2014/12/28/scientists-warn-that-superb-pa… — Spotlight on the ARA macaw preservation project of Costa Rica: http://thearaproject.org/
– Didja know: A crowd of parrots is called a pandemonium? — Or that “Amazon Flakes”, a breakfast cereal, features a hyacinth macaw on its boxes? — A group of parrots in various hues sits in harmony on a perch in a meme for “Occupy Democrats” calling for better race relations (among humans).
– Studies show elderly people with pet birds have better survival rates than those without birds.
– What’s in a name?: McCaw (sometimes MacCaw) is not an uncommon surname, which sorry; has nothing to do with large, gaudily colored parrots. It comes from the Scottish Gaelic prefix “mac” for “son of”, and Adhamh from the Hebrew “Red Earth”.
– After a successful Expo, Fitchburg (MA) Exotic Bird Club plans to launch its first club meeting on Sun. 2/8 from 10-2; location to be decided. Tentative plans include movie nights, field trips, mini-expos and speakers. Club officers want it to be a fun club, with members invited to bring along their birds, crafts, food, etc.
– Parrotrivia: Felix‘s pet parrot passes away ion a classic “Odd Couple “ episode. He wants to give the bnird a decent burial but Oscar just wants to get rid of the body .
– Commentary from the bird room: “Vino says, “Ma, Ma, Maaaa, Maaaaaa” Amazon Lemoncello responds, “WHAT!” Amoretto (macaw) chimes in, “Stop.” Then a roar of laughter broke out, all from the flock. The canary breaks out in song and all hold silent and listen. – One day at the home of Concetta Ferragamo, northeast American Federation for Aviculture chair.
– Contest: If you catch your pet in the act of getting into trouble, submit your photo and your pet’s New Year’s resolution, and you could be rewarded with a Pet Supplies Plus gift card up to $1,000! Get your photos in by 1/31: http://bit.ly/1BonIqA
– Showtime: 1/9-11: Greater Philadelphia Pet Expo – Greater Philadelphia Expo Center, 100 Station Ave., Oaks, PA – Fri 4-9, Sat 10-7, Sun 10-5 – 800-677-4677 – firstname.lastname@example.org
– Rescue me: It’s not just National Bird Day on 1/5, it’s Adopt a Bird MONTH at Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals at Nevins Farm in Methuen MA, featuring a number of seminars on bird care. The lineup includes: 1/3 & 4: General Care and Housing; 1/10 & 11: Foster Care; 1/17 & 18: Enrichment; 1/24 & 31: Festival of Flight Workshop (1-3 pm in training room) Festival of Flight includes silent auction, bird toys, learn about and create emergency kits, nutrition, setting up successful cages, bird behavior, planning for your bird, barn yard birds and even a little bird art. — Autism in parrots? some thoughts: http://chloesanctuary.org/2014/08/04/dolls-eyes-functional-autism-parrots/