– “Thinking Outside the Cage”: How would YOU like to be cooped up in a box your whole life? Give your bird some exercise, fun and change of scenery for that all important enrichment factor – this month’s “Pet Gazette” feature story by examiner George Sommers. Scroll to Page 10 and click on page image to enlarge. http://duxburypetgazette.ma.newsmemory.com/– Bird free trips minus the guilt trip: Then again, sometimes it might be impractical or even impossible for your pet bird to accompany you on a summer vacation. Patricia Sund says don’t sweat it. http://birds.about.com/od/livingwithabird/fl/People-With-Parrots-Are-Vac…
– Alien invasion: Surprising findings about the origins and status of wild non-native quaker parrots in the USA and Europe: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150427145127.htm
– Everybody into the gene pool: The pet trade, legal and illegal,is often blamed for being at least partially for the diminishing number of many parrot species in the wild. Ironically, captivity may be the last lifeline for some of them. http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/parrot_genepool
– Psittacine cinema: Snowball the dancing cockatoo dancing to four different songs: http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-magazines/bird-talk/2008-june/snowball-d… — Bonus Snowball video: http://birdloversonly.org/take5/sb_take5.html — Midwest Bird Expo 2105 preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyTo_3U322o&feature=youtu.be — Freeflight training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGF_KDV1kpY&feature=youtu.be —Macaw talking: http://parrotvideos.net/izle-117056-macaw-parrot-videos–hilarious-macaw… — “Practicing my Beyoncé walk.” https://vine.co/v/eaOmm7HAtu6 — Abbey-Noodle the Timor lesser sulfur crest: https://youtu.be/HuXJLKgKaug
– If you think the world’s first and only ‘kakaporium’, built for the hand-rearing and display of kakapo chicks to the public is a great idea let the developer know. The Invercargill City Council has to amend the Queens Park management plan to make the kakapo project happen: Email your supporting submission, by 5/7, to email@example.com http://ow.ly/MoaQS
– Zeus the blue throated macaw is one of a number of endangered species ambassadors at the Southwick Zoo in Mendon, MA. His species is critically endangered, with fewer than 200 individuals left in the wild. Weather permitting, Mother’s Day will see the launch of the zoo’s new educational program on parrot conservation at the bird show stage
– Parrotrivia: Salty the parrot was sidekick to Sinbad Jr. in a 1965-66 cartoon series. Salty’s voice came from the late great Mel Blanc, better remembered for being the voice of Bugs Bunny and other Warner Bros. characters.
– Robin Williams‘ Amazon parrot Mischa lives on at the San Francisco Zoo.http://sfist.com/2015/04/29/robin_williams_pet_parrot_to_live_a.php
– Psst, tristaters: Parrot Society of the Southern Tier has evolved from a small virtual group of New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians and Connecticut-ers(?) to a larger in person club. PSST’s first land session is set for 6/3 at 6 with monthly sessions the first Wednesday of each month at The River Rock Diner, 904 State Route 17c, Oswego, NY. Healthy birds are welcome, but be prepared to clean up after them and bring a carrier for emergency purposes.Travel stands are suggested. Hotel recommendations will be made for overnight travelers. Concetta, did you come up with this name because you liked the acronym?
– Class acts: The Avian Biology Classroom (ABC) is an educational program for clubs, schools, outreach programs, or anyone wanting to learn more about the biology of birds. American Federation For Aviculture‘s Jason Crean, Caroline Efstathion and Robin Shewokis helped launch the pilot program. The first module teaches the conservation story of the kakapo. Visit www.afabirds.org, click on the “Education” tab, and select “ABC Avian Biology Classroom”. — The Positive Parrot Training Retreat with animal trainer extraordinaire Barbara Heidenreich is set for July 9-13 in Dallas, OR. (No, this is not an error- there IS a Dallas in Oregon; and yes; this is early, but spaces are limited to ten and apparently filling quickly.) http://www.cockatoodowns.com/positive-parrot-training-retreat-2015.html
– Congratulations to Leather Elves bird supply company and owner Robin Shewokis of Weymouth, MA (also this examiner’s current home town) on achieving 500 likes on their Facebook page.
– Calendar of events: 5/2-3: Avalon Aviary Bird Store and Breeder Special Events Weekend 3408 N Garfield Ave, Loveland, CO featuring guest speaker: Concetta DellaRocco Ferragamo. Sat.: Interactive workshops: Re-establishing Trust and Finding Harmony with your bird, Ultimate Cage Challenge (behavior, creating enrichment wonderland, toy rehab), $25; includes lunch. Sun.:Toy Rehab workshops $15; weekend: $30. (970) 663-5004. Sat. 11-6, Sun. 1-3.— Greater Reading Family and Pet Festival – Reading Fairgrounds, 1216 Hilltop Road, Leesport, PA – Sat, Sun 10-6 (800)-677-4677 – firstname.lastname@example.org — 5/2: Wild Parrot Safari with Steve Baldwin. NJ’s Flapping Feathers club members meet at Green-Wood cemetery in Brooklyn, NY at 11 am for approximately 1 hour free tour. http://brooklynparrots.com/ — 5/2: Jason Crean presentation on parrot nutrition 10-12, Noon Grace Presbyterian Church 7434 Bath Street, Springfield, VA — 5/3: Florida West Coast Avian Society Exotic Bird Extravaganza – Potter Building at the Sarasota Fairgrounds, 3000 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota, FL 34237 – 10-4 – 941-475-7103 – email@example.com — Whole Food Nutrition for Parrots presentation by Jason Crean. Anita C. Leight Estuary Center, 700 Otter Point Rd. Abingdon, MD. 12:30-2:30 — 5/9: Bronx Zoo 2nd Annual Birdathon – Bronx Zoo, highlighting both wild birds at the peak of spring migration and “the most diverse exhibit of birds from around the world of any zoo in the country… some 238 species from all corners of the world.” 2300 Southern Boulevard, Bronx, NY 10460 – 7 am- 12:30 pm – 718-220-5100 – firstname.lastname@example.org
– Lost: Amazon parrot, ‘Lencho‘, Houston TX. Reward offered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo — Lost: Peach faced lovebird, Dallas TX. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/laf/4994638255.html — Lost: Congo African grey ‘Beauregard‘. 19 yrs old email@example.com — Lost: African grey congo parrot ‘Kuka‘ NYC, NY Call (347) 279-7681 — Lost: African red bellied parrot ‘Echo‘, Los Angeles, CA. Seven year old male. Needs medicine daily to live. Responds well to his name. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/laf/4997796267.html — Sighted: Macaw in tall tree, Union City, CA (510) 517-5303 or (925) 437-0939. — Found: Macaw; Mesa, AZ. (480) 824-8802 — Found: Small parrot, green w. red tail Schenectady NY http://www.911parrotalert.com/found/ny-schenectady-small-parrot-green-wi…