– Good Bird Inc.‘s Barbara Heidenreich travels the globe demonstrating training techniques at zoos and other animal related facilities. She recently conducted a lecture/video presentation on parrot training at Wheaton College in Norton, MA at the invitation of Jess Beckstrom, formerly of Dr. Irene Pepperberg’s laboratory. Seen in the audience were Southwick Zoo trainers, veterinarian Dr. George Messenger, members of Mass. Cage Bird Association and “Pet Gazette” correspondent George Sommers. Ms. Heidenreich be live in studio on Accent On! www.LATalkRadio.com Monday 11/17 6 pm Pacific.
– Big loss for Spix’s macaws: World Parrot Trust notes the passing of conservation luminary Sheikh Saoud bin Mohammed Bin Ali Al Thani, founder of Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation in Qatar, one of the world’s largest private breeding centers for threatened and endangered species, including the Spix’s macaw, model for the animated “Rio” films.
– Ozzi update: On Wed. 11/12, trial was held for the young boy held allegedly responsible for the killing of Ozzi the African grey parrot in Canada. He received deferred custody for 90 days; similar to house arrest in the U.S. He will be under constant supervision and watched by the police. He is not allowed to have a pet for two years. Charges were not dropped for a second boy allegedly involved. That trial begins 11/19. http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket
– Parrots vs. pigs and goats: Echo, a non-profit organization promoting wild yellow-shouldered Amazon conservation reports, “We are planting native trees into our restoration area at Dos Pos, which is fenced off to feral herbivores such as goats and pigs, giving the baby plants the best chance at survival. Once these trees grow up they will be an important food source for the parrots.”
– Come fly with me: It may seem oxymoronic for a bird to fly on a plane. Nevertheless, if you can provide documentation that your pet is a “service bird”, airlines will allow it to fly with you in the cabin. http://www.birdchannel.com/carry-on-companion-can-your-serv…
– What’s in a name?: The Spix’s macaw was named after German naturalist Johann Baptist von Spix. There is also a Spix’s coral snake and a South American turkey-like bird known as the Spix’s guan.
– Psittacine cinema: Senegal parrot “Shakes it Off” in this Taylor Swift music video parroty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjrE1PsB9X0&feature=share — Major Mitchell’s cockatoos flying: https://m.facebook.com/story.php… — H. Ross Parrot teaches the alphabet on “Sesame Street”; introduced by Big Bird: http://youtu.be/iKSGF4Ufso8 — Einstein the African grey shows off his Matthew McConaughey impression: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11/13/parrot-matthew-mcconaughey_n_… — Cameron the rescue Quaker is so happy he can’t stop laughing: http://www.godfruits.com/7839/this-rescued-parrot-is-so-happy-he-cant-st… — A head scratch for Moxie, the green cheek conure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pECoi9NcOPk&feature=youtu.be — Budgie sounds like R2D2: http://www.viralforest.com/this-bird-communicates-using-r2d2s-language-o… BeBe the love bird goes in search of Mommy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwx0zmd5RM– Kookie caique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-bc7xKbmZI&feature=youtu.be
– Didja know: Robert Stroud, aka the Bird Man of Alcatraz worked with his birds at Leavenworth, not Alcatraz; starting with three injured sparrows found in the prison yard. He acquired 300 canaries and a prison reform oriented warden allowed him to use the equipment to raise them. Stroud, who killed at least two men, wrote two very respected books on avian disease.
– Didja know 2: MIT professor and Obamacare architect Jonathan Gruber, who recently made headlines and ruffled conservative feathers by referring to “the stupidity of American voters”, is the co-owner of 8 parrots. His wife, Andrea, is a volunteer at Foster Parrots.
– Birdie bloopers: Advertised for sale last week on Facebook: “white face cocktail hand tamed”. The accompanying picture did resemble a bird more than a mixed drink. A recent Craigslist ad advertised a blue and gold McCaw.
– Conservation corner: Flight Club Foundation for The Parrot Grant‘s successful Go Blue for Blue-throated Macaws awareness campaign at the 2014 Seattle Parrot Expo raised funds to sponsor a Nido Adoptivo™ nest box in Bolivia. — Yellow shouldered Amazons could use a helping wing, err hand as well: http://www.razoo.com/story/Help-Rescued-And-Wild-Yellow-Shouldered-Amazo… — Help support Hatched To Fly Free Macaw Conservation Rehabilitation and Release Aviaries Fundraiser. Email: email@example.com
– Showtime: 11/15-16: Greater Charlotte Cage Bird Society Fall Expo – NC Army National Guard, 300 6th St., Belmont, NC – Sat 9-4, Sun 9-2 – 336-451-1192 – firstname.lastname@example.org — 11/15: Patricia Sund demonstrates “Chop and Grain Bake” at Phoenix Landing 10-12; 31 Landing Place, Alexander, NC — 11/20-22: 2014 National Cage Bird Show – Crowne Plaza Hotel , 33 E Fifth Street, Dayton, OH – Thu 10-4, Fri 8-6, Sat 8- 5 – 630-305-9043 – email@example.com
– Lost: Rose breasted cockatoo, Vincent. Plaistow, NH. Call (603) 382-3338. — Lost: African grey parrot, Rico; Fall River, MA: http://www.911parrotalert.com/lost/ma-fall-river-congo-african-grey-rico… — Lost: Conure, North Carolina. Reward offered. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/laf/4748243804.html
– Rescue me: This website: http://www.RescueMe.org/?G35D43 is having a promotion where rescues that generate the most clicks can win vouchers for vet care. One click counts per each IP address. — Midwest Avian Adoption and Rescue Services calendars for 2015 ready to pre-order now. http://maars.org/ — Help support Hatched To Fly Free Macaw Conservation Rehabilitation and Release Aviaries Fundraiser. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org — Florida Parrot Rescue needs supplies. How you canhelp: http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2FBS1EXJT0QSH/?ie=UTF8&camp=1…
– News tips: Moon Bala, Ana Temple, Angela Cancilla Herschel, Barbara Heidenreich, Janelle Tait Kovner, Laney Rickman, Denise Woolsey, Linda Bringle Pearl, Jonathan Vincent, Arlene Levin, Dick Bartlett, Isabella’s Aviary, The Bird Endowment, Avian Exotics Ireland, Flapping Feathers newsletter