– Wunsy the African grey saves owner from attack. Now there’s something to be thankful for!: http://www.parrotshop.org/timneh-african-grey-saves-owner/
– Macaw massacre denied: by the Ara Project for conserving rare macaws. Rebutting recent Facebook rumors, Ara spokesperson says, “The project was forced to relocate in 2013. The new site required a 6-hour long bumpy transfer trip. Avian experts evaluated the health of each bird prior to transport and determined that 20 of the approx. 150 birds to be moved would likely not survive the stress of travel and adaptation to a new climate. The 20 most disabled rescued birds were donated to Parque San Francisco, a reputable small private zoo for Psitacidae owned by Neotropical Parrots S.A.” More info: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Spix’s macaw preservation operations also still in full swing at Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation in Qatar despite the recent death of founder Sheikh Saoud bin Mohammed Bin Ali Al Thani. Specialists at Parrot Reproduction Consulting (PRC) had the first ever Spix’s macaws born through artificial insemination at Al Wabra. The organization credits “Rio 2” with a surge in public interest and inquiries about the endangered bird.
– Tired of turkey?: Stuff your parrot instead: http://featheredangels.wordpress.com/2013/11/26/how-to-stuff-your-parrot/
– Crunchy the parrot accompanies the Pirate’s Booty Pirate in this year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade.
– The Three Stooges, with the aid of a parrot; demonstrate how NOT to stuff a turkey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg4iYahUBls
– Holiday etiquette for approaching birds may not be familiar to all guests. Downloadable “guest card” may help prevent mishaps. http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-magazines/bird-talk/2009-july/overnight-…
– Parrots + turkey = recipe for disaster: http://www.discountparrotsupplies.com/1257/parrot-humor/thanksgiving-par…
– Psittacine cinema: Kili the senegal and Truman the Cape parrot enjoy a Thanksgiving feast thanks to Parrot Wizard Michael Sazhin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HYucIIWiPU — “Look Who’s Talking?”; an earlier and less controversial PBS “Nature” program about parrots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2x6zOCVpE8&feature=share —Cockatoo dances gangnam style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTl1asCDOgs — Blue and gold macaw free flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88gBIChuU9s — Parrot quality of life domestic/wild: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KckxU93U8&feature=share — Pebbles is one cuckoo cockatoo: http://thechive.com/2014/11/17/pebble-the-cockatoo-doesnt-care-about-you…. — Magic Mikey the macaw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsdc59TPyQo&feature=youtu.be — Who’s nuttier about Thanksgiving- the alexandrine parrots or “Mom”? You be the judge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DSwUtQm_qw
– Color me appalled: Painting of market parrots denounced. http://cityparrots.org/journal/2011/10/8/bleaching-and-painting-of-parro…
– Parrot Lovers’ Cruise recap: Just in case you’re one of the unfortunate souls who didn’t get to go (like this examiner): http://www.birdchannel.com/parrot-lovers-cruise.aspx#.VGpZm2nUe6I.facebook
– Parrot/turkey/football connection: Polytechnic High School Parrots have faced off against Lowell High School Indians in their traditional Turkey Bowl in San Francisco. The Polytechnic Institute of Baltimore has a parrot mascot. (Get it?)
– “I Saw Wild Parrots in New York City”; delightful read for children and parrot lovers of all ages by examiner George Sommers iPad App Review CrazyMikesapps.comhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j77xgw8cyGQ&feature=youtu.be
– Barbara Heidenreich radio interviewed by Ilona Europa, of Accent On: http://www.latalkradio.com/Accent.phpAnd Barbara’s new webinars to help starting 11/29. Info: http://www.goodbirdinc.com/calendar.html
— Anthropology prof studies pet parrot/human bond: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?utm_source=university_relations&…
– Holiday hookbill story’s happy ending: One Thanksgiving, a Bronx NY man bought his mealy Amazon, Case, along on a house sitting job. The bird, who had a deformity on his beak, escaped from the carrier. About 5 years later, a woman from Pennsylvania called Long Island Parrot Society about a mealy that had come from NY and sent some photos of the bird, including one of a deformed beak. Case, while MIA, apparently passed through at least three sets of hands. He was id’ed and returned to his grateful original owner.
– Lost: Gabby, eclectus parrot, Atwater, Ohio: http://www.parrotalert.com/L16731 — Lost: African grey; Evergeen Park, Worth, Ill. http://www.parrotalert.com/L16732 — Lost African grey, Nottingham, UK http://www.nationalpetregister.org/mp/63010.htm — Lost: Oliver, African grey https://www.facebook.com/…/Missing-African-…/759958820740196
– Drs. Foster & Smith, purveyors of parrot and other pet products, reportedly bought out by Petco.
– Showtime: 11/20-22: 2014 National Cage Bird Show – Crowne Plaza Hotel , 33 E Fifth Street, Dayton, OH – Sat 8-5 – 630-305-9043 – email@example.com — 11/29: Garden State Bird Association 10th Annual Bird Show (Canary and Finch) – Portuguese Instructive Social Club, 417 US Highway 1, Elizabeth, NJ- 9-4 973-951-6199 – firstname.lastname@example.org
– Rescue me: The 2nd annual Beer for Birds benefit for Lazicki’s Bird House and Rescue promises to be a fun event featuring a Crazy Bird Lady and Bird Guy contest. Elmhurst Pub, 670 Smith St., Providence, RI . Sun., 11/30, starts at 5. Tickets available at the rescue or email@example.com– Support Under My Wing Avian Refuge New Year Kick-off: https://www.crowdrise.com/15for15newyearkickoff — Honor senior psittacines, help Foster Parrots and get a T shirt with an African grey deign; all in one shot: https://www.bonfirefunds.com/seniors-are-regal — Thinking of the less fortunate on holidays: http://featheredangels.wordpress.com/2014/11/19/rescue-explained/
– News tips: Tonja Ante, Emmett Renshaw, Rachel Stulberger, Karen Lyons Kalmenson, Linda Ott, Angela Cancilla Herschel, Feathered Sanctuary, Linda Bringle Pearl, WindyCityParrot, Viki Bullock, Lovers Parrots, Lanette Raymond, I Love Parrots, Flapping Feathers newsletter