In the 1970’s, doom and gloom propagandists heralded global cooling with threats of an impending Ice Age. Now the same government funded Chicken Little’s have did a 180 degree turn of climate apocalypse. For years they have promised the end of the world as we know it from global warming.
The average Alabamian knows the truth behind climate change is called weather. If you don’t like it wait long enough and it will change again. There has been no dramatic increase or decrease in the Earths overall temps even worthy of a bad Sci-Fi Channel movie. God, much to the alarmists chagrin, is still in control and we will not burn up until He says enough is enough. Carbon footprints and fluorocarbons then will prove useless.
The taxpayer funded alarmists will skew the facts to meet their master’s desires. Our glorious leader and want to be Emperor will to continue to sell his global warming scare tactics in order to force Draconian government regulations (Agenda 21 for example), his Progressive (reads Communistic) environmental agenda, and new taxes down our throats. His track record of supporting and subsidizing “green” failures and pseudo-science are proof positive of their ignorant zeal.
It is becoming even harder to listen to the Emperor talk about Global Warming as Alabama and the rest of the nation faces record cold temps. He and his green zealots will fight to the last frozen man to prop up the lie. The purveyors of liberal drivel claim that the bitter cold of the last few winters is caused by global warming. Heaven help us with logic like this at the helm of the ship of state. If it gets much colder we may have to pray for some global cooling to thaw out our frost bitten fingers, nose, and toes.
Ridiculous doom and gloom aside, I urge my fellow Alabamians to be prepared for the cold this holiday season. The grim reality is we may see our heat, power, and communications knocked out yet again. Regardless of whether you are traveling or at home an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. The prepper mentality is no vice or stigma when disaster strikes.
When the lights go out those without alternative sources of heat and power will be in the cold. This is the time to concentrate on heating the body. This is accomplished by:
- Dressing in layers.
- Using sleeping bags or blankets.
- Congregating in one room to concentrate the heat from wood stoves, gas heaters, body heat, etc…
- Eat high calorie foods prior to going to bed to fuel the body’s natural furnace.
- Blocking unused rooms, windows, doors, etc… with blankets (allow some ventilation if alternative heat sources are used).
There are four basic needs for human survival:
- Shelter – From the wind, rain, and other elements.
- Fire – For morale, warmth, and light.
- Water – Prevent dehydration even in the winter months.
- Food – Keeps energy up
One must always keep the Rule of 3’s in mind:
- 3 hours without shelter.
- 3 days without water.
- 3 weeks without food.
Steps to take if caught in your vehicle during a winter storm:
- Prior to leaving let someone know your destination, your route, and your time of departure.
- If your vehicle becomes stuck; stay with it to increase your chances of being found quickly. It will be cold but will provide you with shelter from the elements.
- Run engine and heater sporadically to help keep warm.
- Use your car horn, compressed air horn, whistle, or gunshots (3 of each) to signal distress.
Vehicle Winter Preparedness Kit:
- Flashlight and extra batteries.
- Blankets or sleeping bags.
- Full change of warm clothing.
- Wet weather gear or ponchos.
- Three days of high calorie ready to eat food.
- First aid kit’
- Cordage, rope, or twine.
- Three means of fire starting – matches, lighter, and fire striker.
- Bag of cat litter for added traction.
- Personal hygiene items.
- Basic roadside tool kit – warning triangle, flares, knife, duct tape, fix-a-flat, jumper cables, wrenches, starter fluid, ice scraper, etc…
- Car charger for your cell phone.
- Fuel can.
- Topped of gas tank.
- Water – even in winter months and a way to purify more. Dehydration is a killer.
Here is an example of doing everything right.
Build your Kit:
Starter kits and supplies:
- Emergency Essentials
- National Geographic
- Red Cross
Resources and info:
- Be Ready Alabama
- Red Cross
- Survival Life
- Alabama Department of Public Health
Stay safe and have a happy holidays.