Kids are purely joyful. Unjaded by the world’s deceit and cruelty, their imaginations soar beyond the clouds and their laughter touches the heart and makes it feel young, alive, and hopeful.
Watching me dance to the beat of a 2-year-old’s laughter and song makes me think of the idiomatic expression “There’s no fool like an old fool.” Yet, what’s foolish about interacting and spending time with grandchildren? Not. One. Thing. In fact, I often prefer their company to any adult.
If you’re like-minded, you’ll enjoy some of these gems. Here we call them “Grandgiggles” – amazing things our grandchildren have said…(send us yours, you know you have some!).
Grandgiggles for the Young at Heart
- We were watching that girl Ali on the Cavs and I ended up asking Owen if I looked old…he took a long pause and said “Mom, everyone gets old.” Alrighty then. (M.B.)
- Parker’s description of the girl he likes and wants to marry:
Me: What does she look like?
Parker (pointing to his face): I don’t know but she has a booger right here and she never picks it! (A.N.)
- Barrett: I REALLY wish they made clothes for hamsters…(My boy might be on to the next trend…) (N.T.)
- Me: So Anthony, what did you learn in school today?
Anthony: Sex….and that boob size and penis size does not matter. You heard it here, folks! (J.G.)
- Self control is a good quality. Sam and Leo are in an epic wrestling battle and Sam stops and says to him “my fist hungers for justice!” Thank you, writers of Kung Fu Panda. (M.B.)
- Heart-melting siblings: Ethan (4) just told Ava (3) she is pretty! (N.S.)
- Child: Mom when I’m 12, E and V and I are opening up a salon. V will do nails, E will do hair and there will be a kids’ section where I’ll do face painting. We haven’t exactly worked out all the details yet. Me: Sounds fun! Where are you going to get the money to open this salon? Child: Oh that part we worked out. We will have 4 different lemonade stands. I love her and her dreams. (S.H.)
It’s Spring. Go spend some time with your grandchildren and watch the laughter blossom and bloom.
You may also enjoy some of Ellen’s past articles:
- A Baby Boomer’s stroll down memory lane
- Social Media explained
- Going through the change
- Bain food for a longer life
- Golden agers mine for heart-healthy potassium-rich foods
- Brain food increases a longer, healthier life
- Top 5 stress-busters to help you live a healthier life
To receive Ellen Jacob’s articles in your in-box, click SUBSCRIBE. Its Free and your email will never be shared with anyone. Share your Grandgiggles by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org and type GRANDGIGGLES in subject line.