Do something nice (and sugar free) for the ones you love on Valentines’ Day this year.
It’s the perfect time to start planning for Valentine’s Day fun. How about baking with the kids this year? Or perhaps breakfast in bed for that special someone? Make this year all about the homemade love, the kind that starts in the kitchen – and makes memories to last a lifetime.
Besides the Natural Apple Cookies, another simple recipe to try out with the kids is my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies: click on the link in this sentence for the complete recipe. This dough is so versatile it not only makes delectable cookies, but perfect loaves and even a moist, delicious cake. It’s a holiday favorite year round.
Looking to spoil someone this year for Valentine’s Day? Click on the link in this sentence for a complete recipe for healthy homemade blueberry pancakes. This recipe is a household favorite no matter what the occasion.
Directions for Natural Apple Cookies
- ¾ C. chopped dates
- ½ C. peeled & finely chopped apple (I prefer Fuji for sweetness)
- ½ C. raisins, craisins (or any combination)
- ½ C. water
- 1 C. + 2 T whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbl honey, agave, or Stevia sweetener
- 1 C. chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts or pecans)
- Heat oven to 50 degrees.
- Combine the fruits and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, soda, spices, and salt and mix well. Add to the fruit mixture. Stir until well mixed.
- Combine eggs and choice of sweetener, mix thoroughly. Add to the fruit batter and mix well.
- Add nuts, if desired.
- Drop by tablespoonful’s onto a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Yield: 24 cookies
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
- Boise Co-Op
- Whole Foods Market
- Brown Box Organics
- Idaho Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.