Try your hand at making my Personal Sugar Cube Scrubs. When the natural, cleansing glycerin soap is combined with the gentle exfoliating powers of sugar, it makes for the most effective – and the cutest – individual body scrubs you’ll ever lay your eyes on!
These DIY individual size cubes make great gifts for holiday or special occasions, and they’re even excellent gifts for those hard-to-shop-for men in your life! Personalize them even further with scents, colors, and decorative packaging. This perfect homemade, all-natural-ingredient spa treatment will leave them begging for more!
Ingredients for Personal Sugar Cube Scrubs:
- 6 oz. clear glycerin soap
- 6 oz. *olive or coconut oil (acceptable to substitute *other preferred oils)
- 18 oz. white granulated sugar
- *Essential oils / fragrance (optional)
- *Food color (optional)
- Square molds (trays with small individual molds work best)
- Knife or soap cutter (or anything with a blunt edge)
- 2 – 4 cup size glass measuring cup / or clear quart size Mason jar
- 2-3 heavy duty wooden spoons
- Cutting surface (cutting boards / or wax paper covered counter tops)
- Wide mouth jars or plastic food containers for storage
Directions for Personal Sugar Cube Scrubs:
1. Starting with 30 seconds (then 10 seconds at a time after that) melt the glycerin soap in the microwave using a clear mason jar or 4 cup glass measuring cup.
CAUTION: USE hot pad when touching as the glass may be very hot to the touch.
2. Transfer to a large, glass mixing bowl and add the olive oil into the melted soap and stir until well blended, maintaining a liquid state.
NOTE: If necessary, use 10 second increments and microwave to maintain a liquid mixture.
3. If adding a color, mix in a few drops at a time. For a scent, use 15 – 20 drops, depending on strength of fragrance or oil. Mix thoroughly.
4. Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
5. Slowly pour mixture into the molds, filling the molds to the top. A spoon may be required once the mixture begins to thicken. If it is too thick to transfer into your molds, simply heat the mixture for 10 second intervals.
IMPORTANT: Do Not Overheat! or you could dissolve your sugar crystals.
6. Work quickly, gently tapping down any thickening mixture to smooth out / or level out each mold. If you are not able to work quickly enough, consider dividing the recipe in half or thirds until you get the hang of it. *see the link to a helpful tutorial below
7. Place molds in the freezer until hardened.
8. Pop solid molds out onto a cutting surface, and using knife or blunt edge soap cutter, cut them into four pieces. These make the perfect individual size cube scrubs.
Yields: (2) dozen 1 oz. individual sugar scrub cubes
- Tutorial & Additional Ideas: For a tutorial* and a FABULOUS 4th of July idea, click on the link in this sentence. Erin Pikor, owner of Naiad Soap Arts, will show you step-by-step how to make her 4th of July version of these single use body scrubs.
- Options: you can replace the olive oil with grapeseed, jojoba, or coconut oil. Feel free to add essential oils for natural fragrance. My favorite combination is mint and lavender.
- Use: these are best in the shower. Simply lather them in the palm of your hand until they cream up, and then gently scrub over your skin to exfoliate and moisturize simultaneously! When the glycerin soap & sugar mixes with water, it creates a creamy, gentle emulsified scrub.
- Packaging: keep in moisture free/ seal tight containers to avoid melting; jars or air tight plastic containers are highly recommended.
- Storage: recommended to use airtight, wide mouth jar until you are ready to use them. These individual scrub cubes keep well for up to 3 – 4 months, if stored properly.
- Always seek professional advice for any medical conditions.
Please click on the following recipes for additional Natural, Sugar-Free Love products to treat you and your body!
- Berry Cream Mask
- Pumpkin Hair Conditioner
- Cinnamon Apple Body Scrub
- Creamy Cocoa Facial Mask
- Honey Glazed Coffee Scrub
- Creamy Avocado Hair Treatment
- Sweet Potato Eye Mask
- Brown Sugar Pecan Scrub
- Gentle Papaya Day Spa Mask
- Coffee Body Scrub
For ideas on where to shop for local or organic ingredients, please click on any of the links below:
• Boise Co-Op
• Whole Foods Market
• Brown Box Organics
• Idaho Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.