Not everyone has the desire, ability or time to exercise. Don’t turn into a couch potato. Get up and do things you normally do and be amazed at just how many calories you can burn without thinking about exercising.
What many people don’t realize is that many activities you do on a daily basis can actually provide benefits as if you did set fifteen to thirty minutes a day to do traditional exercises. Daily tasks that need to be performed can also increase your heart rate, build your stamina, burn excess calories and strengthen the body’s muscles.
There are many ways to help yourself lose weight, gain muscle tone, burn calories without needing to lift weights, do sit-ups or go on a mile jog around the block to stay healthy. Give a few of these a try and see if you don’t feel better knowing you burned calories without having to break out in a sweat.
Home activities that burn this many calories:
- Playing video games – 76
- Sitting at the computer – 76
- Watching TV or movies – 76
- Cooking – 157
- Dancing – 326
- Gardening – 345
- Grocery shopping – 259
- Laundry – 153
- Playing badminton – 200
- Playing charades – 200
- Playing darts – 200
- Singing – 270
- Sweeping – 180
- Vacuuming – 180
- Walking the dog – 316
- Washing dishes – 163
- Washing the car – 326
Easy ways to incorporate some exercise into your day:
- Instead of taking the elevator opt for the stairs. Walking up or even down staircases will help increase your heart rate and strengthen your legs.
- Become a dancing machine. If you’re bored, just turn up the radio, record player, CD player or stereo with your favorite peppy tunes. Dance around the house, build up your stamina, increase your heart rate and have fun too.
- Run around with your children and pets. Go outside and play a game or catch or fetch, set up badminton set or play horseshoes. No matter what you choose to do you’ll be outdoors getting fresh air, having fun with your family, moving around and getting in some fun exercise if you’re one to keep a traditional exercise routine.
- Take a walk. They say that walking 10,000 steps a day is the best way to burn calories and stay active.
- Cleaning your house is another way of keeping active and getting a small amount of exercise into your day. You don’t realize how many times you bend down, lift and carry things, walk from room to room and stretch while cleaning. Plus, while the house is getting clean you are helping yourself to burn some extra calories.
© 2015 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved