If you suspect that your pet has just ingested poison, the first thing you need to do is to act quickly. Since there are plenty of dangerous ingredients found in chemical products that you keep around the house, accidents may happen, and saving your pet can be all about you doing the right thing and taking the necessary steps.
Decontaminate their skin
There is more than just way for pets to get poison into their system. For instance, they can absorb quite an important quantity of poison through the skin, which is why it does not hurt to hurl your pet to the bathroom and have him washed thoroughly. Until help arrives, this is one of the best actions you can take, especially if you notice that your pet has spilled chemicals on the floor.
Inducing vomiting: yes or no?
Getting the poison out of the pet’s system is very important, and inducing vomiting seems like the right choice. However, this may not always be the case, since some ingredients in chemical products may turn inducing vomiting into the worse choice. Even if you take a look on the list of ingredients, you will not be able to learn what to do, as no such advice is written on plastic bottles containing chemicals.
Call for help
Acting quickly is of the utmost importance when a pet ingests poison. Call your local animal poison control hotline, if there is such a thing, or the emergency service. Getting in touch with a qualified person that will tell you what to do is very important. Also, if you happen to be already on your way with your pet to a vet’s office, do remember to take the container from which the poison spilt with you. This will give the vet a good idea about they are dealing with and it will give your pet a fighting chance.
Do not ignore the severity of the situation
Not all poisons cause foaming at the mouth or other kinds of strange behavior in pets. Actually, there are many types of poison, including rat poison, which has slow inducing effects, which means that your pet may not actually behave strangely in any way for at least several hours. As soon as you notice that your pet has split a bottle of chemical contents, and you fear that he or she may have entered in contact with the poison, it is time to start acting.
Time is of the essence
Acting quickly and knowing what to do are keys for saving your pet’s life. Keep the aforementioned advice in mind:
- Clean the pet’s skin, even by giving him a bath.
- Keep the poison recipient at hand, to provide information about the poison to a qualified person.
- Call emergency or animal poison control.
- Never induce vomiting until you are advised as such by a qualified person.
- Do not ignore even the slightest signs.
- Act quickly and take your pet to the vet, as soon as you can.