More than 250 international art galleries and 70,000 art lovers will converge upon Miami Beach for Art Basel. The annual, internationally-recognized art exhibit will take place from December 4 – 7, 2014.
Here’s a look at some of the upcoming exhibits.
iPads for Soldiers
iPads for Soldiers, a non-profit organization that donates iPads to active and wounded solders, is exhibiting at Art Basel for the first time with “Footsteps To Freedom,” an interactive exhibit that honors American soldiers. The space will be reflective of a war scene with authentic combat boots worn by soldiers in Afghanistan, an interactive video wall and a series of moving images.
“This installation will be like nothing else you will see during Art Basel,” said Nicole Pritchett from iPads for Soldiers. “You aren’t going to a white sterile room to look at photos on the wall, this will be emotional and powerful.”
Guests will have the opportunity to try on boots worn by soldiers and read their personal stories. Other boots have been decorated by world-renowned artists and celebrities, including Mark Cherry, RETNA, Van Alpert, Dolly Parton and Gary Sinise. At the end of the exhibit, the boots will be sold at a silent auction, with all proceeds going to iPads for Soldiers.
The public is invited to get a first look at “Footsteps To Freedom” at a launch party on Monday, December 5, 2014. Guests will enjoy snacks provided by KIND® Healthy Snacks, cocktails courtesy of Diageo and an electronic performance by rock band, Best of Friends. RSVP to FootstepsToFreedom2014@gmail.com. RSVP is required.
Donations are welcomed and appreciated.
WHEN: December 4 – 7, 2014. Open daily at 2 p.m.
WHERE: 2121 NW 2nd Ave., Miami FL 33127
National YoungArts Foundation
National YoungArts Foundation is participating in Art Basel with an action-packed line-up of artistic performances. YoungArts is a non-profit organization that identifies and supports the nation’s emerging young artists with mentorships, scholarships, national recognition and a variety of other opportunities.
In partnership with III Points Presents, YoungArts will host three British performers, FKA twigs, James Blake and SBTRKT on December 4, December 5 and December 6, respectively. FKA twigs and James Blake, nominee for the Best New Artist GRAMMY®, will each be making their Miami debut performances.
The Marina Abramovic Institute (MAI), a center that performs long durational works and spreads awareness of this artistic genre, will present a series of interactive events from December 4 through December 7, including “Slow Motion Walk in the Jewel Box” at YoungArts. Led by 2008 YoungArts artist and dancer, Brittany Bailey, the event will engage the public in a mindfulness exercise during which participants walk as slowly as possible.
In addition to its Art Basel programming, YoungArts will host performances each evening between December 4 and December 6. Presented by Stephen Starr Events, the nightly Pop-Up Lounge will feature various YoungArts alumni, including Grace Weber, Kate Davis and Elliott Skinner, light appetizers and craft cocktails.
- FKA twigs: Thursday, December 4, 2014; doors open at 7 p.m., concert begins at 7:30 p.m.
- James Blake: Friday, December 5, 2014; doors open at 7 p.m., concert begins at 7:30 p.m.
- SBTRKT: Saturday, December 6, 2014; doors open at 7 p.m., concert begins at 7:30 p.m.
- MAI’s Slow Motion Walk in the Jewel Box: Thursday, December 4, 2014 – Sunday, December 7, 2014, from 12 – 6 p.m.
- Pop-Up Lounge: Thursday, December 4, 2014 & Friday, December 5, 2014, at 10 p.m. and Saturday, December 6, 2014 at 6 p.m.
WHERE: National YoungArts Foundation; 2100 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL 33137; Ph. (305) 377-1140
- FKA twigs, James Blake, SBTRKT performances: YoungArts tent (entrance on 22nd Street
- MAI’s Slow Motion Walk in the Jewel Box: YoungArts Jewel Box, 3rd Floor
- Pop-Up Lounge: YoungArts’ Tower Building, 7th Floor
- FKA twigs, James Blake, or SBTRKT: Tickets to each performance start at $37. Click here to purchase tickets.
- MAI’s Slow Motion Walk in the Jewel Box: Free
- Pop-Up Lounge: No tickets are required
KIND Healthy Snacks® #ichooseart campaign
During Art Basel, KIND Healthy Snacks® will introduce the community to its new #ichooseart campaign, created in partnership with Guitars Over Guns and The Motivational Edge, with an exhibit that showcases the musical and artistic talents of area youth. The campaign emphasizes the power of choice – from choosing to live a healthy lifestyle to effecting positive change in the community. KIND’s Art Basel exhibit will celebrate young artists who have chosen to create art, rather than engage in negative, detrimental behaviors.
The exhibition begins with the Showcase & Gallery Night on Thursday, December 4. The event, which is free and open to the public, will feature several student performances. Guests will enjoy cocktails and refreshments.
On December 5 and December 6, KIND will host several spontaneous street performances by talented youth. These young artists will be “popping up” in various areas in Wynwood, Midtown and Miami Beach. KIND will also have a formal gallery to exhibit students’ works.
KIND encourages Art Basel attendees to Do the KIND Thing® by recognizing and supporting these local artists.
- Pop-up Street Performances: Friday, December 5, 2014 – Saturday, December 6, 2014
- Showcase & Gallery Night: Thursday, December 4, 2014, 6:30 – 10 :30 p.m.
- Pop-up Street Performances: Various locations in Wynwood, Midtown and Miami Beach
- Showcase & Gallery Night: Brick House, 187 NW 28 St., Miami, FL 33127; Ph. (305) 456-2629
TICKETS: Free and open to the general public. RSVP to the Showcase & Gallery Night here. Space is limited.
Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM)
The Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) is starting its Art Basel exhibition with PAMM Presents Future Brown Featuring Kelela, a DIS Magazine + THV Entertainment Production. The concert marks Future Brown’s first U.S. performance with live vocalists. Future Brown is a DJ collective comprised of artist and composer Fatima Al Qadiri; Asma Maroof and Daniel Pineda of Nguzunguzu; and J-Cush of Lit City Trax. Kelela Mizanekristos is a vocalist and songwriter based in Los Angeles whose sound is a blend of underground club music and R&B. She is currently working on her debut album.
As a backdrop to Future Brown’s performance, there will be a light and video show by THV Entertainment, a flyboarding and water sports performance choreographed by DIS Magazine and a projection on the museum’s façade of a PAMM-commissioned music video from Future Brown’s debut album.
During Art Basel, PAMM will unveil its newest installation, R.R. and the Expansion of the Tropics by Mexican artist Mario Garcia Torres. Artist Beatriz Milhazes, whose exhibit, Jardim Botânico, is currently on display, will be hosting a book signing. Jardim Botânico depicts the past 25 years of Milhazes’ career with more than 40 large paintings, collages and screenprints and will remain on display through January 11, 2015.
- Beatriz Milhazes book signing: Thursday, December 4, 2014, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- PAMM Presents Future Brown Featuring Kelela: Thursday, December 4, 2014, 8 p.m. – midnight
WHERE: Pérez Art Museum Miami, 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL 33132; Ph. (305) 375-3000
- Beatriz Milhazes book signing: This event is free and open to the public.
- PAMM Presents Future Brown Featuring Kelela: This event is open exclusively to PAMM Sustaining and above level members, and Art Basel Miami Beach, DesignMiami/ and Art Miami VIP cardholders.
To become a PAMM Sustaining member and receive an invitation to the event, visit pamm.org/support, email email@example.com, or call (305) 375-1709.