The month of November typically features Thanksgiving and holiday-themed events and menus at the local Jacksonville restaurants. This November, there are such events, but others themes like Movember are also in the mix. This article will go over the restaurant events that we are currently aware of and we hope that you will enjoy one (or several) of these events during your holiday season. Here is our Jacksonville restaurant news for November 2014:
Event #1: Ted’s Thanksgiving Roast Turkey Feast @ Ted’s Montana Grill: A few things you should know about Ted’s Montana Grill: It is chain, which is part-owned by Ted Turner, and they have great bison burgers. The restaurant plans to remain open on Thanksgiving Day will feature Ted’s Thanksgiving Roast Turkey Feast Participating Ted’s restaurants are open from 11am-8pm and reservations can be made now. Price for the feast is $25 per person, with pricing possibly varying per restaurant. The menu includes the following:
- 1st course is a choice of: side salad, cup of soup, or Karen’s “Flying-D” bison chili
- Main course: whole-roasted turkey and gravy with mashed potatoes with garlic, buttered carrots, herb dressing, and “Aunt Fannie’s” squash casserole with cranberry sauce.
- Dessert: “Ted’s famous apple pecan crisp”: a Granny Smith apple dessert that is baked with a crisp oatmeal pecan crust and topped with caramel and vanilla ice cream from Haagen-Dazs.
Kids can also order a half-portion of the feast with turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, dressing, carrots, cranberry sauce and a “scratch” cookie for $12 (pricing may vary for each restaurant). A la carte is also available for Ted’s classic items like bison meatloaf, cedar plank salmon, and Delmonico rib-eye. Gascon Malbec and Kendall Jackson Chardonnay Vinter’s Reserve are part of the Thanksgiving Day feature at $30 per bottle.
Event #2: Tom Gray featured in Tastemade’s “The Grill Iron” @ Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails: Chef Tom Gray from Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails (previously Bistro Aix) recently appeared on the YouTube series “The Iron Grill”. The series focuses on food at football tailgates and Gray was featured during the Florida State vs. Clemson game. Chef Gray produced a menu called “Garnet and Golf Pork Loin”, which of course featured pork loin, coleslaw, South Carolina potato salad with “garnet and gold” sauce on top. They also covered the connection between Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails with Cognito Farm, a local farm that sources some of the ingredients used at the restaurant. The video can be found at this link. If you like the video make sure you click the thumbs up button on YouTube to support our local chef because the top four chefs from the videos will go to Las Angeles to compete for the Grill Iron championship!
Event #3: Holiday Traditions @ One Ocean Resort & Spa and Azurea: One of the best hotels in Jacksonville, is not technically in Jacksonville. The One Ocean Resort & Spa, located just outside of Jacksonville Beach in Atlantic Beach, has one of the best spas we have experienced. They also have a fantastic fine dining restaurant called Azurea. One Ocean Resort and Spa has multiple events going on:
- Giving Thanks at Azurea: On Thanksgiving Day, 11/27/14, starting at 11am, Azurea will host a feast with fall-related, traditional Thanksgiving menu items.
- High Tea with an Ocean View: Azurea is staging a “High Tea” event on Friday, 11/28/14 for $25 per person at the Azurea Lounge. The event will take place through 12/23/14 with sandwiches and hot tea.
- Surprise Gingerbread Unveiling: On Tuesday, 11/25/14 @ 10:30am, the One Ocean Resort & Spa will reveal its life-sized gingerbread “structure”. The event will feature sweets and carolers.
- Culinary Christmas: This event takes place at Azurea on Christmas Eve and features an a la carte menu with holiday items-inspired items. A la carte brunch is also available on Christmas morning.
- New Years Eve Eats: This New Year’s Eve dining extravaganza features five courses at Azurea. The menu costs $120 per person with an additional $30 for accompanying wine flight.
Event #4: Two specials for Movember Jax @ Moxie Kitchen and Cocktails: For all of November, Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails will be supporting the Jacksonville chapter of the Movember Foundation with two specials items. $1 from every limited edition Intuition Ale Works Movember beer (while supplies last) will go to the foundation. Moxie will also offer the Sloppy “Mo” Combo, which includes Moxie’s open-faced Sloppy Joe. This sandwich consists of brisket and short rib with grilled provolone cheese on top, served with french fries and any of the Intuition Ale Works draft beers at Moxie for $15. $2 from each Sloppy “Mo” Combo will be donated by Moxie to the Jacksonville Movember Foundation chapter.
For more from Jacksonville Fine Dining Examiner, follow us on Twitter @JaxFineDining