Jake Miller released his brand new EP, Lion Heart, on Tuesday (Nov. 4). The EP marks Jake’s debut with Warner Bros. Records, which he was signed to in November 2013. The record follows his previous releases, 2012’s Spotlight-EP, 2013’s The Road Less Traveled – EP and his album, Us Against Them.
The EP features five brand new songs from the raising star, including the lead single, “First Flight Home.” It also features big collaborations with Nikki Flores on the song “Ghost” and Travie McCoy joins Miller for “Dazed and Confused.” To celebrate the release of the record, Miller had a lot of fun with his fans on Twitter before and after the release, even calling a few lucky fans. He’s always sure to show how appreciative he is of his fans.
Prior to the release, he released a thank you note to fans on Twitter saying, “I can’t believe tonight is the night, Lion Heart, my new EP and my very first project with Warner Brothers comes out tonight at midnight. I’ve been working on this EP for almost a year now. I made close to 50 songs in search of finding the perfect five.”
“Five songs that I am so incredibly proud of. This EP means so much to me and I am more than ready to share it with the world. I’ve put my heart and soul into this project. Countless nights in the studio. Countless of sleepless nights tweaking it to make sure it’s perfect for you guys,” he continued. “I sincerely hope you download it. Not because I want to make a lot of money off this EP. It’s never been about money. It’s about showing the world what this fanbase is about.”
Here’s a track by track review of the EP, Lion Heart.
- “First Flight Home” – The EP opens with the lead single and it’s a great one. It’s a fun and catchy pop song that Jake wrote about missing his love ones back home in Florida while he’s away. “‘First Flight Home’ is just that song about coming home, wishing you could be on the first flight home tonight and coming back to whatever you miss. Everyone is going to be able to relate to it, everyone is gonna love it,” Jake told radio show Saturday Night Online Live about the song upon its release in July. It’s one of my favorite songs of his hands down.
- “Party in the Penthouse” – The party ramps up a bit with the second track on the record. The song immediately kicks off with a nice beat and smoothly transitions singing and rapping. The chorus goes, “We might be flat broke, but for one night feel like we made it. We all want to know what it’s like one night to be famous, we gonna party in the penthouse.” Sounds like a fun party to me.
- “Ghost” (feat. Nikki Flores) – There is no doubt this is my favorite song on the EP and probably my favorite song I’ve heard from him. It’s a song many can relate to about feeling invisible and knowing you’re not alone in feeling that way. “Ghost is for everyone who feels invisible. Just know you’re not alone, and one day the whole world will see you,” Jake said about the song on his Twitter. It’s an amazing song.
- “Dazed and Confused” (feat. Travie McCoy) – The second of two collaborations on the EP is probably the biggest as Miller teams up with Gym Class Heroes’ Travie McCoy on this one. Jake sings about wondering if he’s in love or if he’s just “dazed and confused.” This song was also super fun when he performed it in concert during his tour stop in Denver on Nov. 1.
- “Lion Heart” – The record closes with the title track, which starts out gentle before escalating into a fun song with an upbeat tempo and heavy beat. It’s all about promising never trying to change a significant other and being wild for them just the way they are. It’s a good song to end the EP with and helps it end with a bang.
The EP is available for download on iTunes now and will be available in stores on Nov. 24. When it comes to caring about fans and putting true meaning into lyrics, Jake Miller does a great job proving music can be both fun and upbeat while still maintaining relatable and meaningful lyrics. I for one cannot wait to see where Jake’s career goes from here.
Jake performed an awesome sold out show at Denver’s Marquis Theater on Nov. 1 and will be performing in St. Louis, Detroit, Cincinnati, Boston, Freehold, NJ, and Cleveland as part of the same mini tour. Later in December, Jake will be part of the Jingle Ball line-up for 106.1 KISS-FM in Seattle, 93.3 FLZ in Tampa Bay, and Y100 in Miami. Tickets and details for all shows are at jakemiller.com.
You can download his EP now, it’s only $5.99 on iTunes and I highly recommend it.