Pop star and COVERGIRL Katy Perry impressed all by delivering a dazzling performance at the halftime show for Super Bowl XLIX on Feb. 1. And in case you didn’t know, the New England Patriots won Super Bowl XLIX. Perry’s “mini-concert” included four costume changes and appearances by special guests Lenny Kravitz and rapper Missy Elliott.
Katy opened the halftime show by singing her ballad “Roar” standing on top of a large metallic lion operated by half a dozen puppeteers The center of the field was then transformed into a giant chess board for her dance track “Dark Horse” before Kravitz emerged to help Perry sing a heavy rock version of her breakthrough hit “I Kissed A Girl”. Katy’s special guest Missy Elliott emerged to sing a medley of her hits including “Get Your Freak On” and “Work It and Lose Control”.
Jeremy Scott created all costumes for the show, but who created Katy’s looks? None other then celebrity makeup artist, Jake Bailey and we have the complete how-to from Jake himself!
“Last night was one of the most exciting days of my career! Knowing my work would be seen by millions and millions of people I’ve been understandably nervous. Katy’s performance had multiple costume changes so I needed to create a strong look that would complement all of her outfits, as there was absolutely no time for a touch up in between the quick changes. It’s the Super Bowl after all!” shared Jake.
Inspiration: “I decided to go with a classic Katy look — elongated cat eyes, lots of mascara, super sparkly gold and silver glitter, and a bold red lip for glamour and showmanship. I wanted her to glow and sparkle for her big moment”.
Katy Perry’s Super Bowl XLIX Halftime Show How-To:
- To create a sheer and flawless canvas Jake began by buffing a dime size amount of COVERGIRL Outlast 3-in-1 Foundation in Natural Beige all over her face and neck.
- For an elongated cat eye Jake used COVERGIRL Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner in Black Onyx and painted a glitter adhesive just above the black liner and carefully placed a mix of gold and silver glitter on the adhesive with a tiny eyeliner brush for precision.
- He then applied COVERGIRL Eye Shadow Quads in Blooming Blushes to add warmth and dimension.
- Jake finished the eye look with an aggressive lash curling and two coats of COVERGIRL Full Lash Bloom by LashBlast Mascara in Very Black that left her lashes voluminous and touchably soft throughout her performance.
- To give her brows shape and structure, COVERGIRL Pow-der Brow + Liner in Dark Brown was used.
- For extra dimension, COVERGIRL Clean Glow Blush in Roses was applied using the lighter shades on the apples of her cheeks and the darker shade in the hollows of her cheeks
- COVERGIRL truMAGIC Luminizer was then applied to Katy’s cheekbones and brow bones for a shimmery glow.
- Katy’s lips were lined and shaped using COVERGIRL Lip Perfection Lip Liner in Hot with a coat of new COVERGIRL Colorlicious Lipstick in Seduce Scarlet.
- To finish the bold lip look, a tiny dollop of COVERGIRL Lip Lava in Mauva Lava was applied.
Congratulations to the New England Patriots on their win and to Katy Perry for her winning performance. COVERGIRL products may be found at mass retailers nationwide.