L’Assiette Steak Frites looks like it belongs in the South of France or St. Barths, but there it sits on trendy Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles. The charming French eatery attracts a neighborhood clientele, according to our wait person, but also lures foodies from all over the city who go for the Paris-style French fries(which are about the best in the west) and steak especially for dinner.
We sampled it for lunch today, opting for a lighter salmon that was glazed a little too sweetly, and a large salad with peanuts and vegetables, embellished with a hearty pour of California Chardonnay by the glass for just $10 which was enough to share, and a scrumptious almond cake and kick-ass espresso.
The room is a charmer with whimsical art, a bar, high and low tables and friendly service. It’s only been open about a year and perhaps need a little more time to season, but it was a delightful luncheon experience for two Franco-philes seeking a touch of France. We probably should have order a steak dish since that’s what the restaurant is known for but decided to wait for another time to enjoy it at dinner.
Prices are reasonable. The simple dinner menu looks exceptional:
Entrées are served with a choice of sorrel soup or house salad included Steak Frites for $25 served with its famous house sauce, presented in two servings.
- Poisson Frites — $27 Fish of the offered in two servings served with peanut oil pommes frites upon request.
- Portobello Frites — $21 Marinated Portobello mushrooms, grilled, presented in two servings served with peanut oil pommes frites add Black Truffle Shavings Sauce, add $14 Rossini (Black Truffle Shavings and Foie Gras), add $30 .
- Cheeses — $5 an ounce.
The Lunch menu
The restaurant boasts, “We serve the highest quality prime Nebraska beef, Coulotte cut, prepared sous-vide,” “Our pommes frites are hand cut from the finest Kennebec potatoes, prepared through an 8-step, 24-hour process, and cooked in beef tallow. (A peanut oil version is available upon request).”
- Soupe À L’oseille — $7 soup, served with baguette toasts points.
- Steak Frites — $17 Our flagship coulotte-cut Steak Frites, prepared sous-vide (soup or salad starter – add $5) (shaved black truffle sauce – add $7) (Rossini – shaved black truffles & foie gras – add $15) .
- Poisson Frites — $18 Fish of the Day (ask your server) (soup or salad starter – add $5).
- Portobello Frites — $15 Marinated, grilled Portobello mushrooms, served with peanut oil pommes frites (soup or salad starter – add $5).
- Sandwich De Bifteck — $17 Our signature steak sandwich, served on a freshly-baked baguette Choice of salad or Pommes Frites (Shaved Black Truffle Sauce – add $7) (Foie Gras – add $8) (A Cheval, fried egg – add $1) (Fondue with Raclette cheese – add $2).
- $18 Fish of the Day sandwich served on a freshly-baked baguette Choice of salad or Pommes Frites Salade Maison Au Bifteck .
- $17 signature sous-vide steak, chopped Little Gem salad, Goat Cheese, Avocado, Medjool Dates, Almonds with our citrus balsamic vinaigrette Salade Maison Au Saumon .
- $18 Sous-vide chilled Salmon, chopped Little Gem salad, Goat Cheese, Avocado, Cucumber, Hazelnuts, with our citrus balsamic vinaigrette.
- Plateau De Fromage — $5/Ounce An assortment of French cheeses.
L’Assiette Steak Frites is located at 7166 Melrose Avenue just east of La Brea in Los Angeles. There is valet service or you can park for two hours on the side street (Formosa Avenue). For reservations call 323-274-2319.
Allow time before or after dinner or lunch to browse all the trendy and retro shops of Melrose Avenue.