When faced with holiday leftovers, don’t panic. It is hard to plan how much to make, and inevitably there are leftovers. And actually, they can be the basis of tasty meals that stretch your budget wisely. Here are a few favorites, using leftover mashed potatoes.
Mashed Potato Pie
Pizza dough for 1 pie
8 strips of bacon
3 to 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 TBS melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
Black pepper to taste
Optional goodies to add in: chives or scallions and sour cream.
- Make from scratch or purchase pizza dough.
- Cook bacon until crispy.
- When the bacon cools, crumble and set aside.
- In a lightly greased round baking dish, pie or cake pan spread the pizza dough evenly going up the sides of the dish at least halfway.
- Bring mashed potatoes to room temperature, then add butter, milk, salt and pepper, and additional options if desired.
- Sprinkle in 1/2 cup of the cheese and half of the bacon crumbles.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the dough, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bacon and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Allow the pie to rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Mashed Potato Soup
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk, skim, 2 % or whole
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
2 heaping tablespoons sour cream
Salt and pepper
Desired toppings that can include bacon, onion, chives, parsley, cheese
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and potatoes until it is creamy.
- Remove from heat, stir in the sour cream, and season with salt and pepper.
- It is a thick soup but can be thinned to desired consistency by adding milk.
- Scatter toppings across the soup.
This is a perfect way to use up all sorts of leftovers, including cubed cooked turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, dressing, gravy. Note these are not exact measurements and can be customized according to your leftovers. No leftover gravy? No problem! Want a vegetarian version? Omit the turkey!
- Fill bottom of baking dish with leftover mashed potatoes.
- Next, add enough leftovers of your choice turkey, cooked veggies, gravy and dressing to fill baking dish 3/4 full.
- Add another layer of mashed potatoes to the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees until warmed through and mashed potato topping begins to brown nicely.