Here is a lesson plan for grades 5 to 8. It is based on a story called “Control your anger with SPAM.”
What is the story about?
Story Description: Here is a story scenario you can use to help teach about a unique Anger Management method. The story is called “Control Your Anger with SPAM.” Emily and Mike have a great deal of trouble keeping control of their temper. A guidance counselor teaches them a method of Anger Management that works called SPAM, like the meat, only it is not something to eat. (S.P.A.M. = Stop-Ponder-Appreciate-Moment)
Step 1: Read the story called “Control your anger with SPAM” to the class.
- Click story link: Story called “Control your anger with SPAM”
Two Role-plays link
Step 2: Many times, students learn lesson concepts best when they can try the ideas on for size, so to speak. Therefore, you can involve the students in a scripted role-play based on this tale.
Choose some eager volunteers to read the parts of the various characters in the story. The remaining students could take turns reading the narrator parts. For complete directions, click on the following link.
- Click role-play link: Role-play called “Control your anger with SPAM”
- Click role-play slideshow link: Role-play slideshow for “Control your anger with SPAM”
Discussion Questions link
Step 3: Involve the students in a main idea story discussion.
- Click story discussion link: Discussion questions for “Control your anger with SPAM”
Two Writing Assignment links
Step 4: If you like, you can also get the students writing about the story by having them respond to those same discussion questions.
- Click writing assignment link: Writing assignment for “Control your anger with SPAM”
- Click the printable writing assignment link: Printable writing assignment for “Control your anger with SPAM”
Lesson Plan link
Step 5: For the complete lesson plan for this tale, click on the lesson plan link. This lesson includes lesson objectives, the K and W questions of the K-W-L Model to use at the beginning of the lesson and the follow-up L questions of the K-W-L Model to use at the end of the lesson, vocabulary questions, and a popcorn review.
- Click lesson plan link: Lesson plan for grades 5-8 called “Control your anger with SPAM”
Other grades 5 to 8 lesson plan links
- Portal page for 3 C’s help you be bully free
See Debbie Dunn’s articles on | K-8 Classroom Activities | School Conflict Resolution | Women’s Health | Storytelling Website
Subscribe to: | K-8 Classroom Activities | School Conflict Resolution | Women’s Health |
Follow on: | Twitter |
For comments or questions, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org