Here is a lesson plan for grades 5 to 8. It is based on a story called “SPAM and Stairstep Thinking.”
What is the story about?
Story Description: Jason is offended and angry that Blake put him down. The rest of the morning went from bad to worse. At lunch, his best friend Lee taught him how to use the SPAM method of anger management and Stairstep Thinking to psych himself into feeling better again.
Step 1: Read the story called “SPAM and Stairstep Thinking” to the class.
- Click story link: Story called “SPAM and Stairstep Thinking”
Two Role-plays link
Step 2: Many times, students learn lesson concepts best when they can try the ideas on for size, so to speak. Therefore, you can involve the students in a scripted role-play based on this tale.
Choose some eager volunteers to read the parts of the various characters in the story. The remaining students could take turns reading the narrator parts. For complete directions, click on the following link.
- Click role-play link: Role-play called “SPAM and Stairstep Thinking”
- Click role-play slideshow link: Role-play slideshow for “SPAM and Stairstep Thinking”
Discussion Questions link
Step 3: Involve the students in a main idea story discussion.
Please note: (All discussion questions are built into the story.)
Two Writing Assignment links
Step 4: If you like, you can also get the students writing about the story by having them respond to those same discussion questions.
- Click writing assignment link: Writing assignment for “SPAM and Stairstep Thinking”
- Click the printable writing assignment link: Printable writing assignment for “SPAM and Stairstep Thinking”
Lesson Plan link
Step 5: For the complete lesson plan for this tale, click on the lesson plan link. This lesson includes lesson objectives, the K and W questions of the K-W-L Model to use at the beginning of the lesson and the follow-up L questions of the K-W-L Model to use at the end of the lesson, vocabulary questions, and a popcorn review.
- Click lesson plan link: Lesson plan for grades 5-8 called “SPAM and Stairstep Thinking”
Other grades 5 to 8 lesson plan links
- Portal page for 3 C’s help you be bully free
See Debbie Dunn’s articles on | K-8 Classroom Activities | School Conflict Resolution | Women’s Health | Storytelling Website
Subscribe to: | K-8 Classroom Activities | School Conflict Resolution | Women’s Health |
Follow on: | Twitter |
For comments or questions, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org