NFL mock draft coverage for 2015 has kicked into overdrive. With the NFL Combine getting ready to open, projections about whether Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota will become the first overall selection have become the hot topic. According to a report from CBS Sports on Tuesday (Feb. 17), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will target the Florida State quarterback (Winston) with that No. 1 pick. As for Mariota, football analyst Pat Kirwin has him going to the New York Jets with the sixth pick.
Most of the draft experts at NFL.com agree with CBS on the Winston to Bucs prediction, but not everyone is sold on the Jets targeting a quarterback. In fact, one has the team going for Florida outside linebacker Dante Fowler, Jr. and another has then selecting Alabama receiver Amari Toomer. Both would be good picks to make early in the first round, but it would require the Jets to find another solution at quarterback for 2015.
It’s interesting to note that none of these main 2015 NFL mock drafts have the Cleveland Browns selecting a quarterback in the first round. Bucky Brooks at NFL.com has them passing on Mariota to select Washington nose tackle Danny Shelton. The consensus seems to be that the team would like to pick up West Virginia receiver Kevin White though. He is a talent that could help any signal caller for many years to come. White is easily one of the two best receivers on the board.
As for players that contending teams like the New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks, and Green Bay Packers will target, the projections are all over the place. The four main analysts at NFL.com were unable to agree on any of those picks and CBS has the Packers targeting a receiver. Kirwin says that the Packers will select Michigan receiver Devin Funchess as a way to make up for losing Jermichael Finley and possibly losing Randall Cobb to free agency.
Something widly agreed upon is that the Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars will be looking to improve on defense with the No. 2 and No. 3 selections. Most of the NFL mock drafts have the Titans taking USC defensive tackle Leonard Williams and the Jaguars selecting Nebraska outside linebacker Randy Gregory. The two players are considered the best defensive picks in the draft and hot commodities on draft day. After those top three picks, a lot could be determined by the NFL combine.
CBS 2015 NFL Mock Draft
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Florida State QB Jameis Winston
2. Tennessee Titans — USC DT Leonard Williams
3. Jacksonville Jaguars — Nebraska DE/OLB Randy Gregory
4. Oakland Raiders — Alabama WR Amari Cooper
5. Washington Redskins — Florida DE Dante Fowler
6. New York Jets — Oregon QB Marcus Mariota
7. Chicago Bears — Washington DT Danny Shelton
8. Atlanta Falcons — Clemson OLB Vic Beasley
9. New York Giants — LSU OT La’el Collins
10. St. Louis Rams — Stanford OT Andrus Peat
11. Minnesota Vikings — Louisville WR DeVante Parker
12. Cleveland Browns — West Virginia WR Kevin White
13. New Orleans Saints — Missouri OLB Shane Ray
14. Miami Dolphins — Florida State DT Eddie Goldman
15. San Francisco 49ers — Iowa OT Brandon Scherff
16. Houston Texans — Washington LB Shaq Thompson
17. San Diego Chargers — Kentucky DE Alvin ‘Bud’ Dupree
18. Kansas City Chiefs — Alabama S Landon Collins
19. Cleveland Browns — Miami (FL) OT Ereck Flowers
20. Philadelphia Eagles — Texas DT Malcom Brown
21. Cincinnati Bengals — Virginia DE Eli Harold
22. Pittsburgh Steelers — Michigan State CB Trae Waynes
23. Detroit Lions — Oklahoma DT Jordan Phillips
24. Arizona Cardinals — UCLA LB Eric Kendricks
25. Carolina Panthers — Arizona State WR Jaelen Strong
26. Baltimore Ravens — Louisville S Gerod Holliman
27. Dallas Cowboys — Mississippi State LB Benardrick McKinney
28. Denver Broncos — Minnesota TE Maxx Williams
29. Indianapolis Colts — Georgia RB Todd Gurley
30. Green Bay Packers — Michigan WR Devin Funchess
31. Seattle Seahawks — Iowa DT Carl Davis
32. New England Patriots — Miami (Ohio) CB Quinten Rollins