A Nordstrom employee remains in critical condition after being shot on Black Friday in a domestic related-shooting in the store located on Chicago’s famous Magnificent Mile. The Chicago Nordstrom store will remain closed until Sunday.
On the Nordstrom Chicago Twitter account, the store said it would reopen on Sunday after Friday night’s shooting inside the packed department store sent frenzied Black Friday shoppers running for cover — out of the store. There were no other injuries reported.
Chicago Police say the domestic related shooting occurred inside the Nordstrom department store on the second floor at approximately 8:20 p.m. Friday night. The shooter, identified as 31-year-old Marcus Dee was targeting his ex-girlfriend when he entered the store, and shot the female employee before turning the gun on himself. He was pronounced dead at the scene and his ex girlfriend, a Nordstrom employee was transported to Northwestern Hospital in critical condition.
The 22 year old shooting victim dated Marcus Dee from August 2012 until their breakup in December 2013. The young woman is a student at the University of Chicago, and took a seasonable job at Nordstrom to support herself, according to family members. Family members said Marcus Dee had been calling the victim and family members since December 2013, when she broke up with him. The calls often consisted of Dee threatening to hurt or kill himself, relatives said. The Chicago Tribune reports that court records show the gunman had petitioned to have a temporary restraining order issued against the woman for stalking in April, but was denied.
In the last decade, the increasing number of deadly shootings at privately owned public spaces including universities, schools, churches, shopping malls and movie theaters illustrate the need for increased security and public safety awareness. The Nordstrom store where Friday’s shooting took place is housed in the Shops At North Bridge, a “vertical mall” along Chicago’s famed Magnificent Mile. The shooting was the second in less than a month at a Chicago shopping mall. On November 13, two people were injured in a domestic related shooting at the Harlem Irving Plaza in Norridge, just outside of Chicago, Illinois.
When it comes to protecting Americans at privately owned public venues, the U.S. government’s role is limited. In 2010, the United States Department of Homeland Security first partnered with shopping malls and retailers for the “See Something, Say Something” awareness campaign to remind shoppers to be on alert for suspicious activity. In September, 2012, DHS expanded the public awareness campaign to more American shopping malls, including those owned by Simon Property Group.
In the last year, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the FBI have partnered with representatives from state and local law enforcement, fire and emergency medical services to hold mock drills at shopping malls. Other than actual events, first responder drills and exercises are the most comprehensive test of readiness and means by which to evaluate a city or county’s emergency management system. The bulk of the responsibility for keeping American shoppers safe is that of management and property owners and more importantly, the American shopper.