Another unfortunate incident of a pet product recall due to contamination with salmonella bacteria took place recently, this time announced by Nylabone of Neptune, N.J. The company has expressed their regret in the Company News section of their website.
They say the positive test was from one single lot (LT 21935), a small number of less than 3000 pieces of Nylabone Puppy Starter Kits made in their facilities in Neptune City. No other Nylabone products were affected.
The FDA issued a firm Press Release on April 22, 2015 announcing the possible contamination. Customers who have purchased the recalled chews should discontinue feeding them and return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
For more information, contact Nylabone Consumer Care by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 855-273-7527.
The company prides itself by saying their products promote good canine dental hygiene, enhance overall mental fitness, encourage positive behavior, and allow for safe, pleasant travel and shelter. Read more about Nylabone’s history here.
To the contrary, Canine Journal published an informative article about the risks involved in presenting Nylabones to your dog. As with all chew products, supervision is advised while taking into account the dog’s age, health and activity requirements. It is well worth discussing the issue with your family veterinarian for the best advice regarding your dog.
About Salmonella poisoning:
Salmonella not only affects animals eating the products, there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet food and products.
Humans infected with salmonella may experience some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Although rare, salmonella contamination can lead to more serious medical conditions, and those affected should seek advice from their physician.
Pets with salmonella infections may become lethargic and develop diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will display decreased appetite and abdominal pain in addition to fever. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and displays symptoms of salmonella poisoning, please contact your veterinarian immediately for further advice.
According to PetMD, after diagnosis, outpatient treatment of the pet is often possible in uncomplicated cases. However, if a dog has sepsis, a blood infection, or a severe case of salmonellosis, inpatient care may be necessary, especially for puppies that have developed severe dehydration as a result of the infection.
Remember, not only is your pet’s health at risk, your pet can be a carrier and therefore infect other animals and humans. Stay safe, and seek medical advice as soon as possible.
Subscribe above to be alerted when more articles are published; your email address will not be shared.
Email info@GeminiUniversal.com if you have comments or a story you would like me to share. I currently write as NJ Animal Rescue Examiner, National Cats Examiner, National Pet Health Examiner, and National General Pets Examiner. Follow me on Twitter and visit us on Facebook for news and updates. Join our Circle at Google+