It could be that Nancy Harmon Jenkins new book, “Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil,” was just another excuse for a party – a festival, actually – at the Pasta Shop on College Avenue in Oakland. But who could blame them?
The book is a love letter to extra virgin olive oil, it’s a lush travelogue of Mediterranean olive growing regions and the people who live there, it’s a history of olive oil, and it’s a cookbook.
Clearly, it wasn’t enough for Jenkins to simply sign the book.
And that’s why you’ll want to stop by the Pasta Shop in Rockridge this Saturday, February 21, for an Olive Oil Festival event, which in addition to Jenkins’ book signing (from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.) will include…
- Can you taste the “extra virgin” difference? Comparative tastings of “supermarket” oil vs. fresh extra virgin oil
- Olive Oil & Food Pairings – Three extra virgin olive oils – mild, medium, robust – paired with a variety of foods demonstrate how flavor profiles can affect your final dish. Also: pointers for cooking with olive oil.
- Explore the World of Olive Oil – An international tasting table to demonstrate the variety of flavors – also serving suggestions and uses.
- Pasta Shop kitchens sample recipes from “Virgin Territory” – Delicious! Also: a full special weekend menu at the Pasta Shop prepared foods counter.
- Manicaretti Italian Food Imports presents, “A Tour of Italian Olive Oils” – A comparative tasting: Sicily – Titone Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Puglia – Crudo, and Tuscany – Capezzana (Note: OILS MAY CHANGE)
- 20% off all olive oils – including extra virgin and flavored
- FREE mini orange-scented olive oil cake with any book purchase
An OLIVE OIL FESTIVAL event at The Pasta Shop
featuring Nancy Harmon Jenkins signing ‘Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil’
- plus tastings, samples and food pairings
- Saturday, February 21 – 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- 5655 College Avenue – Oakland
And if you have to miss Jenkins on Saturday, you can catch her Sunday, February 22, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. at Seka Hills Olive Oil Tasting Room in Brooks, California, a special event celebrating the 100th Annual Capay Valley Almond Festival.