A downtown parade will highlight the heritage and living culture of the Ancient City from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Saturday, May 9 during the St. Augustine’s Romanza Festivale of the Arts, an event that celebrates 450 years of culture in the nation’s oldest city.
From May 8-17, more than 100 events and exhibits will include music and dance performances, concerts, art shows, dramatic productions, tours, and much more at locations throughout the city. Many events are free; admission is required for others.
Procession: Led by Chad Light reincarnated as Pedro Menendez, the Romanza Procession will wind from the City Gates down St. George Street, past Government House and down King Street to its final destination – the Aviles Street Festival.
Re-enactors, pirates, costumed revelers and Spanish Dancers will march to the beat of the Jacksonville Jaguars Drumline. Anyone in period-dress or any costume is welcome to join the parade. You are invited to be at the City Gate for step-off at 2:00 p.m. Come join the fun!
After the procession, enjoy live art demonstrations, live music, food and drinks at locations along Aviles Street. For all the events happening on May 9, see the schedule below.
May 9th Schedule:
- 10:00 am Spanish Military Hospital Museum Tours (ticketed event)
- 11:00 am Art on Aviles Street (free)
- 12:00 pm Romanza Chamber Music Series: “A Mother’s Love” at Memorial Presbyterian Chapel (free)
- 12:00 pm Lost Ships Tour at the St. Augustine Lighthouse (ticketed event)
- 12:00 pm Iconic St. Augustine: A 450th Exposition at St. Augustine Art Association (free)
- 1:00 pm St Augustine’s Festival of Music: “Honoring Mothers” in the gazebo of the Plaza de la Constitucion (free)
- 1:30 pm St Augustine Food Tour (St Augustine Historic Walking Tours – (ticketed event)2:00-3:00 pm ROMANZA FESTIVALE PROCESSION: City Gates to Aviles Street (free)
- 2:00 pm “The Box” presented by Lee Weaver at The Pioneer Barn. (ticketed event)
- 5:00 pm St. Augustine Historic Pub Crawl (ticketed event)
- 7:30 pm The Crystal Concert by First Coast Opera at Lewis Auditorium (free)
- 8:00 pm Spirits with Spirits-A Paranormal Pub Crawl (ticketed event)
- 8:00 pm Pirate Pub Crawl (ticketed event)
- 9:00 pm Live Music: Brent Byrd and the Suitcase Gypsies at Ann O’Malley’s Irish Pub (free)
For more about St. Augustine’s Romanza Festivale of the Arts, go HERE. Don’t forget to bring a lawn chair or blanket and enjoy the festivities.