Looking for a kid or crowd pleasing recipe that is quick and also easy can be hard, but with this fried rice recipe all you need is a big frying pan and a few minutes of your time. This works best with leftover rice that has been refrigerated overnight, but you can also use freshly cooked rice as well. The ingredients are simple and you will probably have most of the items in your kitchen already. So let’s get started!
· 1 medium onion chopped
· 1 small bunch of green onions chopped
· 4-5 cloves of garlic crushed and chopped, or garlic powder to your taste
· 4-6 cups of cooked rice
· 5 regular hotdogs chopped
· ¼ cup soy sauce
· 2 eggs
· Salt and pepper to your taste
· Oil for cooking
1. In a large frying pan or wok heat a small amount of oil and fry onion and if you are using garlic cloves fry them as well until garlic is fragrant and slightly browned and onion is soft.
2. Then add your hot dog and fry until slightly browned
3. Add a little more oil to the center of your pan and add the two eggs, breaking the yolks with your spatula and whip this around with the prior ingredients until egg is cooked and well dispersed.
4. Add salt and pepper to your taste.
5. Slowly start adding your rice and fluff it until it is loose and evenly distributed. Do this until you have added all the rice you will be using.
6. Stir in chopped green onion
7. Last, sprinkle soy sauce over rice and keep stirring it while frying, until all the rice has a slightly brown color from the soy sauce coating. If ¼ cup is not enough, add more to your liking.
You can serve this as is, or use it as a side dish. You may want to have more soy sauce available to your guests who like to add a bit to their dish. You can provide hot sauce as it is a delicious addition to sprinkle on top of this simple and tasty dish.
When you have surprise guests this can make a quick dish that will impress. You can use any other meat that you like, such as ground beef, cubed chicken, sliced pork, shrimp to personalize this dish. Just make sure to cook all the meat thoroughly before adding the rice and other ingredients. You can also add more vegetables if you like such as shredded carrot, chopped cabbage, bok choy, and even corn. For a different flavor, leave out the soy sauce and add taco seasoning, little tomato sauce, and drained canned beans to give this dish a Tex-Mex flair.