Boston cream pie is a delicious treat that we don’t usually get on a regular occasion. The great thing about a poke cake recipe is that it takes our favorite elegant dessert recipes and makes them easy enough to enjoy on a more regular basis.
With only five ingredients, this easy version of a Boston cream pie recipe will thrill and delight your family and friends. Does it get much better than that?
Boston cream pie poke cake recipe
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Ingredients called for on cake mix (eggs, oil and water)
- 2 (3.4 oz) boxes instant Vanilla or French Vanilla pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1 container chocolate frosting (or your favorite homemade chocolate frosting)
- Make cake mix according to directions and bake in a well-greased 9×13 pan.
- When cake is finished baking and is still warm, poke holes all over cake using a wooden spoon handle or other similar size object (you want those holes fairly big so the pudding has room to get in there and you need to poke straight through to the bottom of the cake).
- In a medium bowl, add milk to pudding mixture and continue to whisk until most of the lumps are removed. Pour pudding on top of warm cake, making sure to pour straight into the holes in the cake.
- Take a spoon and spread it evenly across the top of the cake (very gently press down pudding to ensure that pudding goes into the holes and spread it all the way to the sides).
- Put cake in fridge and allow to cool completely before adding the frosting (about 2 hours).
- Remove the lid and foil covering from the tub of chocolate frosting and microwave for about 10-15 seconds. Stir frosting with a spoon- it should still be thick, but pourable. Pour chocolate frosting on top of pudding.
- Spread frosting to evenly cover cake. Start in the middle and gently spread to the sides. Allow to cool on the counter for a few minutes, then put into the fridge to fully cool and set up.
- While mixing the pudding, don’t let it get too thick. You want the pudding to be able to sink into the holes, so don’t beat it too long.
- To help the pudding get into the holes better: pour around half the pudding and spread with a spatula, pout the second half and smooth out the pudding over the top of the cake.
- For a fun additional flavor, instead of regular milk, mix the pudding with almond flavored soy milk.
This is a fun and easy recipe to make for your family and friends. Boston cream pie poke cake and vanilla pudding make a pretty dynamic pair. Ready to try your hand at a Boston cream pie poke cake? It truly is an elegant dessert made easy!