[EDITOR’S NOTE: zoomdune.com has a weekly report on the area’s top bowling scores, and this one contains 176 scores, which is 175 more than the total number of such scores published over the past 46 months in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.]
Six perfect games — including back-to-back 300s by Carl Sawyer III — headline this weekend’s zoomdune.com listing of top scores from bowling leagues in the Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte County area.
Although being a high-average player for many years in the Sarasota area, Sawyer had never rolled a certified perfecto until last Monday night’s session of the Yoder’s Restaurant League at Sarasota Lanes, and he certainly managed to do so in grand style en route to an 825 series.
After opening with a 225 game that included six strikes, the righthander with a current 221 average blasted 24 consecutive strikes over the last two games for his first two career 300s and his first-ever 800-plus series.
“I credit my big night, in part, to a new Brunswick Blue Ringer (bowling ball) and a great drilling fit from Saul Insignares at Bowling Services (Pro Shop at Sarasota Lanes,” Sawyer said. “My previous sanctioned highs were a 299 game and a 780 series.”
Sawyer, who currently carries a 216 yearbook average, rolled the 299 on Feb. 6, 2006, also at Sarasota Lanes, and he also had a 298 game on Aug. 31, 2006, and scores of 290 on Sept. 9, 2010 and March 4, 2013.
Also bowling in the Yoder’s Restaurant League, Chris Christmas blasted a perfect game to complete a 744 series that opened with scores of 279 and 165, and he is now averaging 211.
Two players, Jonathan Meyer and Matt Carter, reached perfection at Bowland Port Charlotte. Meyer pounded out games of 265, 300 and 221 for a 786 series in the Thursday Mixed League, where he now averages 236, and Carter fired a 717 series on games of 159, 300 and 258 in the Adam & Eve Mixed League, where he now has a 213 average.
The other perfect game was posted by Eric Morrison in the Guys & Dolls League at Treasure Lanes. He upped his average to 220 while rolling a 778 set on games of 213, 300 and 265.
Two bowlers at AMF Venice Lanes, Jack Hanson and Rob Phillips, fell one pin shy of perfection. Hanson’s 299 game came in the middle of a 684 series in the Honest A/C League when he left a final-ball 7-pin, while Phillips left a last-ball 6-pin in the middle game of a 726 series in the South County Honda Mixed League.
Also in the South County Honda Mixed league, Tommy Lucas strung 11 consecutive strikes before leaving the 4-7 combination, leaving him with a 115-over-average 298 game. And Seth Nussbaum had an 11-in-a-row performance with a 290 game in the middle of a 673 series in the Nate’s Honor Animal Rescue League at Sarasota Lanes.
Mike Pillarella had a far-over-average effort in the Yoder’s Restaurant League at Sarasota Lanes, with a 110-over 258 game completing a 200-over 644 series. Also, Jose Jimenez rolled a 156-over 711 series in the Shorebirds League at Bowland Port Charlotte, and Hollis Hurst had a 107-over 289 game in the La Casa Men’s League at Treasure Lanes.
To say that it was a high-scoring week is an understatement. In addition to the 300s and 11-in-1-rows, there were a pair of 289s, seven 279s, five 278s, four 277s, three 276s, three 275s, two 274s and a 270. And in addition to Sawyer’s 825, there were 43 series between 700 and 799. In other reports:
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: Christian Toepfer 279-718, Gary Krowka 279, John Campbell 279, Frank Murphy 278, Martin Pierce 278, Wendell Van Gaasbeck 277-731, James Creutz 276-728 and 269-737 and 724, Brian Price 269, Jimmy Kuykendall 268-764, Paul Giles 267, Anthony Mioduszewski 267, Ron Middleton 266, Matt Carter 266, Jonathan Meyer 265, Victor Sabino 265, Greg Lindsay 711, Thomas Lindenbarger 708, John Rader 701; Jodi Suares 238-655, Ona Wood 238, Ashley Schwartz 234-622, Mickeal Paige 624, Carol Grimm 610.
- TREASURE LANES: Jerry Weese 279-725, John Jones 278, Jonathan Meyer 277 and 268-759, Roger Johnson 277, D.J. June 277, Joe Tocco 269-750, Stephen Weisenburger 269, Kevin Ducas 268-727, Ken Jones 268, Jonathan Spooner 267-714, Patrick McLocklin 267, Eric Kansman 267, Mike Aleshire 267, David Jodoin 266-727, Ron Middleton 265, David Drab 723; Dolores Meyers 258-659, Dale Miller 247-654, Dawn Smith 244, Jill Harper 238-601, Kim Blue 236-666, Nancy Wroe 236-621, Ashley Schwartz 232, Colleen Donaldson 227, Ursula Hall 226, Renae Gross 225-641, Diane Kays 225-628, Jodi Suares 615, Jennifer Peacock 603.
- AMF VENICE LANES: Joe Murray 277, Sascha Barkoff 276, John Dolby 275, Greg Gross 269-722, Matt Hoffman 269, Shawn Poneleit 267-706 and 752, Todd Kostek 266, Derek Lucas 265, Stephen Presley 265, Jim Bruns 717, Jeff Stapleton 706, Greg Sell 704; Dolores Meyers 234-644, Carol Mancuso 225, Dottie Kirkpatrick 613, Linda Davidson 600.
- SARASOTA LANES: Bobby Lessig 278-748, Mike Aleshire 278-728, Greg Talbot 276, Jordan Sepper 275-705, Randy Yeager 269-767, Marty McGiffin 269, Aaron Atkinson 268-711, Phil Sutton 724, Cory Anderson 716, Dave Grether 715, Carl Sawyer III 710, Bob Yoder 705.
- AMF BRADENTON LANES: Tony Cinelli 289-753, Ronnie Hayes 279-781, Adam Whited 279, Ray Lewis 275, Joe Kopec 270, Mike Hall 266, Dylan Clark 746, David Shedrow 720, Rick Isom 713; Cindy Suber 258-634, Alison Shedrow 225.
- AMF GULF GATE LANES: Roger King 274-709, Greg Jones 265, Steve Kosinski 709; Farrel Hansen 237 and 225-600, Cindy Grich 227.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald’s zoomdune.com bowling columns — free of charge — by clicking on “Subscribe To Author” near the bottom of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]