It has become commonplace for cops to consciously shoot Black men in the back. This has come to be known as “Shot in the Back Because You are Black”. Since the deaths of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown the issue of police brutality and bullying against Blacks has again risen to the surface. Whether the case is racism or hatred of Black and Brown people or incompetence including mental issues, age, license to kill by paying to play cop or lack of training; Black men, women and children are dying every day from the hands of White police officers with total disregard.
This is not an indictment against all police officers. There are a group of police officers who spend a good deal of their time working with kids of all ages, colors, races and beliefs and doing an outstanding job! The Police Athletic League is a group of Cops Helping Kids Since 1947. These programs highlight cops working with kids through afterschool and weekend programs. The program provides sports, trips, camps, scholarships, prom give-aways and most importantly cops working to help, “Protect and Serve” instead of shooting African Americans in the back.
Sadly, this seems to be a minority of officers helping. Instead, there are an overwhelming number of cops killing Blacks. Below is a list of just 10 of the overwhelming number of African Americans who have died at the hands of police some were shot in the back, one was purposely hit and ran over by a police car.
Shot In The Back Because They Were Black:
1. Ricky Bodden 11-years-old was shot in the back and killed on August 15, 1972 in New Brighten section of Staten Island, New York by patrolman Frank Ortalano of the St. George Precinct who also shot another youth who survived. Both youths were unarmed and in a car.
2. Clifford Glover a fourth grader, only ten-years-old, on April 29, 1973 in Queens, New York was shot in the back by officer Thomas Shea while walking to work with his stepfather. Little Clifford Glover worked in a junk yard with his father every morning before school. Videos were taken of the murder by bystanders.
Oscar Grant III
3. Oscar Grant III on January 1, 2009 in Oakland, California was brutally shot in the back and killed by BART police officer Johannes Mehserle. While Grant was laying face down, not resisting arrest, a police officer named Johannes Mehserle cowardly, shot him in the back killing Grant. The officer claimed he meant to tazer Grant. Videos were taken of the murder by bystanders.
4. Marlon Brown 38-years-old died on May 8, 2013. His death is called “an execution in a vegetable garden”. He was stopped for a seat belt violation in DeLand, Florida after leaving his car he was run over by officer James Harris in his police car. As Harris arrived on the scene, he drove more than 100 feet off the road through a backyard fence and ran over and killed Marlon Brown. A video was taken of the murder by a bystander.
5. John Crawford, 22 years-of-age on August 5, 2014 in Beavercreek, Ohio, was shot in the back while leaning on an unloaded toy air BB gun and talking on a cell phone at a Wal-Mart. Crawford was shot in the back by officer Sean Williams just seconds after he entered the Wal-Mart (see above photo). Crawford was still on the phone when he was murdered. Store video captured the murder on tape. Wal-Mart shopper Angela Williams also died at the Walmart from the trauma of seeing the police killing John Crawford. In addition, Crawford’s girl friend, Tasha Thomas died in a car accident on New Year’s day 2015.
6. Ezell Ford 25-year-old on August 11, 2014 in Los Angeles, California police conducted an “investigative stop” of Ezell Ford on a Los Angeles sidewalk. Ford’s mother said he was lying on the ground, complying with the officers’ orders, when he was shot in the back by officers Sharlton Wampler and Antonio Villegas. The coroner’s report found that the 25-year-old black man was shot twice in the back, and once in his right arm. He was unarmed. The fatal shot to the right side of his back left an imprint of the gun’s muzzle, showing it had been pressed directly against Ford’s skin when the police officer pulled the trigger. After firing three shots, officers then handcuffed him, bleeding on the ground until he was transported to California Hospital Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 10:10 pm.
7. Darrien Hunt 22-years-old was shot in the back and brutally killed on Sept. 10, 2014 outside a strip mall in Saratoga Springs, Utah, a suburb of Salt Lake City by Cpl. Matthew Schauerhamer and officer Nicholas Judson. Hunt was a lover of anime, the 2 1/2-foot sword he carried did not have a sharp edge and was bought at a gift shop and was purely decorative. Hunt, who left behind notebooks full of manga-style drawings, was wearing a red top and blue pants at the time of his death, dressed as Mugen from Samurai Champloo a Japanese anime series developed by Manglobe.
8. Jamar Nicholson 15-years-old on February 10, 2015 in South Los Angeles, California was shot in the back without care or regard by officer Miguel Gutierrez because his friend, Jason Huerta was holding a toy gun. At 7:45 a.m. Gutierrez saw the teens standing in an alleyway talking and one holding a toy with the indicated orange tip identifying it as a toy shot the Black teenager in the back in a possible attempt to send a message to the Black teen. Jamar Nicholson feels lucky to have survived the shooting in the back by the cop Gutierrez.
9. Walter Scott 50 years old on April 8, 2015 was brutally shot in the back 8 times after being stopped for a broken middle back brake light in North Charleston, South Carolina by officer Michael T. Slager who lied about the reason for the brutal killing and tried to plant a tazer beside Scott’s dead body in a fabrication to save himself from discipline said that Scott “went for the tazer”. A bystander videotaped the incident which showed Slager consciously gunning down Walter Scott and laying the tazer beside Scott’s dead body.
10. Terrence Walker 21-year-old, on Nov. 6, 2013 was brutally shot in the back and killed on Randy Lane in the New North End of Burlington in Muskogee, Oklahoma by officer Chansey McMillin. McMillin has been on the Muskogee police force since July 2012. Walker runs away and McMillin shoots him five times in the back. Police shootings happen often in Oklahoma. The last officer-involved shooting in Muskogee was a Black individual in July of 2013.
Autopsy Reveals That Teen Was Shot Twice In Back By Police
An autopsy has revealed that a teenager who was killed by police in Illinois over the weekend was shot twice in the back. In a news release, the Lake County Coroner’s Office says one bullet struck 17-year-old Justus Howell in the left back and p…