“Oh my aching back!” Now here’s a pretty common phrase uttered particularly by some folks after exiting a car that was a real pain in the back. When searching for that perfect ride, far too often many consumers forget to look for vehicle seating that provides long-term comfort.
Lower back pain (LBP) is a very common complaint and reportedly, 31 million Americans are affected by it. Experts estimate that as many as 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some time in our lives making it the single leading cause of disability worldwide according to the American Chiropractic Association. Sitting for a long period of time can actually be a lower back stressor particularly if your posture is horrific. If you lack the proper supports for your back then the soft tissues and joints in your spine will suffer researchers surmise.
Certainly, no vehicle offers a one-size-fits-all solution to spinal woes but here are a few back-friendly selections that come pretty close:
1) It’s no secret that Volvos are known for offering ergonomically right seating that truly coddles the back. Seating in a Volvo is firm, supportive and bolstered enough for even the most arduous car trip. As a matter of fact, Volvo enlisted the assistance of orthopedic doctors in order to help them design seats in their S60 and XC60 for example that offer almost magical levels of back support.
2) Nissan has done something clever with their seating by offering consumers NASA-inspired zero-gravity seats that offer support from the pelvis to the chest. The zero-gravity seating was inspired by three rocket scientists. The seating, available in the Nissan Altima, Rogue and Murano were designed to help posture by reducing muscular and spinal stress which results in better blood flow and less fatigue. The zero-gravity seating really makes a driver want to stay earthbound in their vehicle for quite some time!
3) Mercedes offers back soothing seating that could never fail a support test! The automaker offers a bevy of seating settings in their vehicles that cradles a driver from head to thigh. Exceptional comfort, lateral support and long on cush is what Mercedes strives for with their seating. The S-Class sedan takes comfort seating to an entirely obscenely delicious level for example by offering available massaging multi-contoured seats and even a rejuvenating “hot stone” massage to give support where you need it most. Decadent!
4) Ford designers pay strict attention to the natural curve of the spine. The available ten-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar, six-way power for the passenger in the Fusion is a real back soother. The available multi-contour driver and front passenger seating in the Taurus for example was engineered to combat muscle fatigue in not only the lower back but the legs as well. Both back seating systems in the Ford vehicles are perfect spine de-stressors.
5) Lexus and Toyota just don’t know how to make a vehicle that will cause back discomfort! The seating in a Lexus and Toyota offer just one wonderful sweep of support from the thighs and all the way up to the shoulders. Sedans such as the Toyota Camry and Lexus LS 460 offer seating that is superbly shaped for all-day back comfort.
6) GM also designs many of their vehicles with back comfort in mind. Two standouts, the Buick Verano, Enclave and Chevy Traverse offer seating that makes you think twice about getting out of your vehicle! Seating engineers at Buick and Chevy have a winning formula, they reportedly test their seats on various body types in order to arrive at a comfort level that suits the gamut of folks who drive their cars.