Today’s Weather Synopsis…
A strengthening but fast moving coastal storm will impact the region today as it races northeast, severely impacting holiday travel with heavy snowfall. A Winter Storm Warning is in effect for the eastern Mohawk Valley, Lake George/Saratoga Region, Capital Region, mid-Hudson Valley, and the Taconics until Thursday morning for heavy snow of 5 to 16 inches with accumulations increasing to the south and east of Albany. A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for areas just north and west of the Capital Region, including the western Mohawk Valley and the western and southern Adirondacks for lighter amounts of snow of 3 to 8 inches.
The snow will become heavy at times into this afternoon and evening with some banding possible from Albany on south and east as the coastal low goes by. Travel conditions will deteriorate quickly and become treacherous with maximum snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches or perhaps even up to 3 inches per hour possible. Snow will begin to taper off into tonight with just a few flurries or snow showers lingering into Thanksgiving Day. It will dry out into late week with chilly conditions continuing, but a moderation will begin into the second half of the weekend.
The Capital Region forecast for the next 48 hours…
• This Morning: Cloudy with snow developing, possibly briefly mixed with rain at the onset.
Sunrise: 7:00 AM
Winds: North 5 mph.
• This Afternoon: Cloudy with snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times with significant accumulations likely.
Sunset: 4:25 PM
Winds: North 10-15 mph.
Albany, NY Normal Low/High: 29° / 44°
• Tonight: Cloudy with snow likely, tapering off after midnight. The snow could be heavy at times with additional accumulations likely.
Sunrise: 7:01 AM
Winds: Northwest 10-15 mph.
• Thanksgiving Day: Mostly cloudy with a chance of scattered flurries or snow showers.
Sunset: 4:24 PM
Winds: Northwest 5-10 mph.
• Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy and cold with a slight chance of flurries or snow showers.
Sunrise: 7:02 AM
A look ahead…
• Black Friday: Chilly with sunshine mixing with some clouds.
• Saturday: Chilly with intervals of clouds and sun.
• Sunday: Milder with intervals of clouds and sun.