Do you have questions about how to make a flaky pie crust? What if your pie crust is tough or soggy? Call the Crisco Pie Hotline for all your Thanksgiving pie recipe questions. Don’t forget Christmas pie recipes and questions about those. Crisco has all the answers to your holiday pie questions. Just give them a call!
About the Crisco Pie and Baking Hotline
The Crisco Pie & Baking Hotline is a one-stop resource that offers assistance and tips for pie bakers. Consumers can call the hotline 24 hours a day to get answers to questions such as, “how do I keep my crust from becoming soggy,” or “how long can I freeze an unbaked pie?” Year round, a baking expert can be reached Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST.
The most common questions are: “How do I make a pie crust?” “What is the Crisco classic pie crust recipe?” “What are some tips for baking a flaky pie crust?” “Can I freeze a baked and/or an unbaked pie?” “How do I keep my pie crusts from getting soggy, or crumbly?” “How do I keep my meringue pie top from weeping?”
For more information about the Crisco Pie & Baking Hotline or for additional tips, recipes and how-to videos, visit Crisco.com. Join the Crisco community on Facebook at Facebook.com/Crisco or on Pinterest at Pinterest.com/criscorecipes.
Spiced Pear and Apple Pie Recipe
Single crust Classic Crisco Pie Crust:
- 1 1/3 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick well-chilled Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 cup well-chilled Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 to 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 4 cups peeled, thinly sliced pears
- 2 cups peeled, thinly sliced apples
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Milk (brush crust)
- Cinnamon sugar (brush crust)
- PREPARE recipe for double crust pie. Roll out dough for bottom crust. Place in 9-inch pie plate. Press to fit without stretching dough. Trim even with pie plate. Heat oven to 400°F.
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Combine pears, apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt and lemon juice in large bowl. Spoon into prepared pie crust.
- ROLL out dough for top crust. Place onto filled pie or cut into strips creating a lattice top. Trim 1/2-inch beyond edge. Fold under bottom crust edge to seal. Crimp and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to allow steam to escape. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- BAKE 30 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown.
Recipe and photos used with permission by Crisco.com.